• In the Spotlight:

do you use a pacifier, if you do when did you start using it and why? how does it help your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use a pacifier very rarely, Katelyn is almost 3 weeks old. Sometimes she is soothed by sucking it, but she's only used one maybe twice. Some babies are soothed by them more so than others.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I did and I gave my DD one her 2nd day of life, it was a great soother for her, and it helps with sucking so they keep strong when bfing. She would calm down with it, and sleep better. We took it away at 8 months she didn't need it anymore.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my daughter never took to one. Some babies find it comforting. If your baby won't take it, don't force it. Let them decide on ways to soothe and comfort themselves.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my daughter was 5 months when she used the pacifier. She only used the pacifier for babies 0-3 months and stopped at age 3.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 9:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My daughter was born in August. We used a pacifier only in the winter, when she was in her snow suit and could not get her hands in her mouth.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My daughter used the paci for a while. At first she would only take it every so often (we started about about a week old) because she really just wanted breast or bottle at first. Once she got on formula and was actually getting food, she took to the paci much better and used it for a about 7 or 8 months and then lost interest durig the day and only used it for sleeping. That stopped at about a year and a half, maybe a little before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We just started useing one. She is 8 months and it stops her from cutting her fingers up from teething.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'm a bad nursing mommy. Since birth DD (not 5 days until 12 months) has used a pacifier. She will take it when sleeping or playing but spits it out before she goes into deep sleep, and has been doing this for months. Before that, she would have it in her mouth ALL THE TIME. She was just obsessed with it. I'm lucky that it never interfered with breastfeeding (she has always just liked to suck) and that she seems to be weaning herself from it. She still needs it sometimes, though.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Oh yes, and me and my sister never took to a pacifier. my boys only took to the Soothie one for a few weeks after birth.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My daughter has had a paci since she was about a week old,she sucks on it all the time,I guess its a comfort thing for her and she refuses to go to sleep without one
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2010