Do babies have nightmares?

My DD is 8 months and has been sleeping through the night since about 3 months..recently she has been waking up about 3 hours after goign to sleep crying. When I go to check on her she has this terrified look on her face, I pick her up and cuddle her ans she goes back to sleep.
Could it be nightmares??

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 10:13 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nightmares are also very common events when they appear as sporadic episodes. Although babies who wake up crying cannot communicate the content of their scary dreams, the clear sign that distinguish between a nightmare and a night terror is the fact that following a nightmare the baby is very responsive to parental attempts to calm him, and usually relaxes quickly with some reassurance. If nightmares become very frequent and persistent, a clinical evaluation should be considered, because repeated nightmares are often linked to traumatic or stressful events.

http://www.tinylove.com/article.aspx?articleId=69

southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes they do
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• southerncharm86

• Yes they do. My 17 month old wakes up about once a night crying for like 5 minutes, then going right back to sleep.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my daughter who is almost 2 is a great sleeper and i think recently her dreams have become more vivid. There have been a few moments where she has started crying and not just fussing and when i go to check on her she is not even awake. Sometimes she is, and of course i comfort her and she is fine the rest of the night. So yes. I think babies and even older have nightmares and vivid dreams that disturb them.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my pediatrician told me when my son was lil that newborns often feel like they are falling when they sleep when the get that startled twitch
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• OP: Thanks Ladies!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• When my son was 18 mos, he communicated his first dreams to me. He was crying in his dream, woke up, saw me, and started telling me to "give it back." He thought I had taken a cookie from him, and he wanted it (I consider this his first nightmare). I had to explain to him what dreams were, which was really hard for him to understand how something that he saw was not real. In the second, he was riding on a firetruck with the teletubbies (this was a great dream!).

I think also that they're afraid they're alone if they wake up and no one is immediately around.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 11:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• kitkabob...thats funny. My son always played with dinosaurs (still does) he once woke me up growling.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Oh that made me laugh! Well My DD just showed fear at her first object - we bought her a tub toy that winds up and she is terrified of the Polar Bear tub toy!! If she sees it she screams, I figured she was having a nightmare about the evil polar bear toy...
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010