What's everyone's opinions on childbirth classes?

Obviously it's best to have as much information as possible, especially if it's your first pregnancy like me. But, some of the classes can be so expensive. What all do you learn and how much will you implement while in labor and after delivery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• never took em.. and i labored just fine lol
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I went with my first 2 pregnancies and with the 3rd i only did the sibling class with my boys and we took a hospital tour and wrote out our birth plan and pre registered so i could just walk upstairs and not have to stop anywhere. I think a refresher is good and also if its a new hospital that you havent been to before it is nice to be able to meet staff and ask questions.

You do use some of what you learn, it all depends on what happens during the L&D you just never know what is going to happen so it is hard to say for sure which parts you will use. For me we used the relaxation techniques alot and the breathing.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I took them my first time, really didn't apply any of it during delivery, and my delivery was fine. I read a book with the other three that was way more informative and a lot cheaper. My friend went because it was her so"s first baby to help him, he still fell apart in the delivery room. I think it's hilarious that the Duggars still go to birthing class, and no they weren't teaching it! I thought afer 10 they just fell out after they were done cooking!LOL
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I took several classes through the hospital where I delivered; they were fairly inexpensive, and most hospitals have a sliding scale. Contact the Maternal/Child educator at the hospital where you will deliver. She can give you information on class schedules. Depending on the hospital, you should be able to take:

Preparation for Childbirth
    Newborn Care
    Infant and child First Aid and CPR
    Breastfeeding
    Postpartum exercise
    etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Never took them, I dont see the point. I dont need to pay someone to tell me how to breathe
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i think it's a good idea to go to the hospital's classes just to get an idea of their policies and different interventions they might try to push on you so you can be prepared. other than that, i would love to take a natural child birth course, but they are so expensive, and i think reading books like "ina may's guide" and "birthing from within" can be good preparation. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• They are awesome worth every penny, specially with your first, it will equip you with knowledge you will use and find helpful at the time of labor. Breathing excersises and focosing on a focal point (you can bring one from home and put it up in a wall) it eases the anxiety level, knowing all the stages you will go through, and dealing with them.

Answer by older at 10:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I went to 2 of them and they were so boring and useless I never went back. I went to Lamaze classes though, so maybe your experience will be different, if you go with a different method of childbirth. The breastfeeding class was good though.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I found ours very helpful. The nurse doing the class gave a lot of pain coping strategies and a lot of what to expect. Some of the classes were more helpful than others but all in all, I'd reccomend taking them. She also covered what to pack in your hospital bag and we got a ton of freebies. Our insurance covers the entire cost, which also helps. We plan on taking the refresher curse with this little one, which should also be free with our insurance. DH felt a lot better going to the hospital knowing what to expect. The last thing you need is to have a nervous partner because you wil have enough of your own stuff going on and he will be your advocate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I went for the first one. it helped me realize that labour isn't always the perfect vision we have of labour and delivery - its not like the movies. I had no experience with babies or anything so learned a LOT. Especially when there were complications in my labour - I was ready for it
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2010