do you feed your child raisins? at what age do you let your kid start having foods that pose choking risk? hotdogs, popcorn, grapes, etc

My son is 2 years and 3 months old. I was thinking about offering him raisins but i don't think I will because i'm concerned about choking...? he typically chews things well and these raisins aren't very hard but i just get nervous about choking. my little brother choked on an apple when he was about 2 and my mom called 911. by the time the ambulance came, he was fine thank goodness! also my cousin choked on bacon when he was about 7 and my stepdad did the heimlich on him! i wasn't there for either of these episodes but i still get nervous.

i do feed him grapes but after i cut them in quarters. i don't let him have nuts or popcorn either. hot dogs sometimes, cut lengthwise then chopped up. I have grown curious about when parents typical start offering these foods.

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I gave my then 2 year old a fruit snack one time, and the fire dept. arrived shortly after. I was even sitting there with him while he ate it. After that, I waited until he was 3 1/2 for those kinds of things. With my oldest though, (15 now) she didn't have any problems that I can remember. But as she was my first, I was probably over protective, and didn't give her anything until she was 4.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yeah I'd wait a a while after reading the PP's horror story. LOL. Also, consider the poopy diapers you will be getting as a result of eating raisins. I do feed my son who is almost two fruit snacks and he loves them. They are no problem for him all kids are different.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• what do you guys mean by fruit snacks? do you mean fruits or like those gummy things? sorry if i'm clueless! ;)

my little brother is the youngest of 4 and for whatever reason he was later on eating solids. he ate purees for much longer than the rest of us because he would choke on table foods. every kid is different i suppose!

thanks for your responses!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My daughter got raisins in her toddler class at day care. They are not considered a choaking hazard as they are small enough to be swalled whole. Grapes I cut in half and hot dogs I do in forths even still at 2 1/2 but my daughter has all her teeth and it's not really a problem anymore. The problem is when they don't have the teeth to cut through the outter layer. Grapes or hotdog skin will bounce of the gums and can be shot back into the throat and choaked on. Many other foods aren't too bad. You just have to be aware of your child and learn basic safety techniques incase your child choaks. At around 1, I had to do a finger sweep a few times to get some food my daughter tried to swallow before chewing all the way out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• thanks anon, i took infant/child CPR including heimlich maneuvre but it was years ago! i need to retake the course in case of choking or any other emergency.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son is almost 17 months and has been eating all of those kinds of foods for about 6 months now. He eats grapes(cut in half), hots dogs(whole) gummy fruit snacks, every fruit you can think of all veggie tables. The only thing he doesn't eat is popcorn. He does great and always has. I have never had a problem.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son eats all those things. Cut them up sp they can't choke. Isn't that common sense???
    Anonymous

• my 17 month old eats all these things. i cut them to bite size pieces so he can't choke.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• well for raisins and popcorn you can't really cut it up
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my dd was eating pop corn and hot dogs, etc. when she turned a year....she loves the fruit snacks..and surprisingly she's very careful about how she eats since she usually takes something n her hand and runs off to play...pop corn to my dd is like her bedtime snack...when we wind down we pop popcorn and watch the "adult" shows that the hubs and i like and we make sure she finishes her drink so she doesn't have anything left to choke on (just in case)..if you want to try those kinds of food, try and see what your child can handle..you never know..
    Anonymous