Twin bed or full bed?????

My dd is 4 & we are getting ready to buy new furniture for her. She is still in her toddler bed 9convert from crib) & i cannot decide on which size bed to get. The room is not big so i was thinking a twin but then I think about down the road when she has friends spend the night! What do your children have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine has a day bed with a trundle bed underneath. The crib turns into a headboard/footboard for a fullsized bed so one day will upgrade. But for now, I'll stick with the day bed since we already have it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Twin, especially if your room isn't that big. She'll have more play space and more room for her stuff. Also consider that a bigger bed has bigger sheets, which increases laundry. For sleepovers two small children can fit in a twin, or they can camp out on the floor, or you can pull the mattress onto the floor and have one sleep on the mattress and the other on the box springs. or get a twin with a trundle under it that can be pulled out for guests, this is a solution I've seen several people do, this also lets you have the bed for adult guests.

Answer by Bmat at 10:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If the room is small, I would look into loft bunk beds where there is a study area under the bed, that she could use for extra play-space now, and for homework later.

When I was a girl and had sleepovers, we usually slept in the den, so we could watch television and have a big room to ourselves and just brought sleeping bags and put them on a few air-mattresses, or some kids would sleep on the sofas.

I distinctly remember at 12, we had 4 girls in my twin-sized bed. It was one of my favorite sleepovers ever.

I wouldn't let the "sleepover" reason be the deciding factor. Do what will best utilize space for your daughter's everyday activities.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• we've got twin beds for my girls. big enough beds for them, but small enough that there's still lots of room in there.

if you have friends over for sleepovers - invest in an inexpensive rollaway cot - they just fold up and can be stored easily.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My girls all have junior beds from IKEA. They are a little longer then a toddler bed but slightly narrower. The girls love them and they don't take up half the room as a twin bed. If they all had twin beds we wouldn't have room for all their other stuff. Right now I have 2 girls (9 and 3) sharing a 12x9 room with 2 beds, 2 dressers (both very compact), a big book shelf, a small book shelf, a trunk with a dollhouse on it, 2 laundry baskets, another basket full of stuffed animals and a big pull out bin under one bed for extra toys. My other daughter shares a room with her brother (who doesn't have a bed at all because he always just sleeps on the floor anyway). She has a junior bed and can fit her bed, dresser, large book shelf and a play kitchen in a 7x8 space.
    My oldest got her bed when she was 6. she's so small that she has a few more years before she outgrows it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I have one son. But we want more and only live in a 2 bedroom. So we plan on getting bunk beds with a trundle. And we're crossing our fingers hoping we get all boys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010