Feed this family hands down? or give to a church? I was amazed at how many people said they would feed a family what about this real life example?

A few years ago my husband caught some kids stealing chips from our store. We called the mom who literally was strung out on drugs. She dug and found a hundred pennies to pay for the chips. The next day the boys came back crying they were hungry. My husband gave them a bag of chips. After work, I emptied out our freezer for the family. My husband took the boys to McDonald's for dinner. A week later, the kids were hungry and the mom was still wasted on drugs.

How did we help this family? How did we help our family? In one week we were without food and so was this family. I went to the store and had the choice of doubling my grocery bill and purchasing food for the family or giving the money to a church and informing the mom where to take the kids for dinner. I gave to the church and tipped off the neighborhood police officer of the situation. Feed the family or take them to a church to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Try talking to a church about the whole thing maybe they can do something to help get those kids away .
    IMO you did a good thing, You helped those kids for a week at least.
    I would do the same. I have done the same many times.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I would still feed the famiy hands down, Don't trust any organization been burned too many times.

Answer by older at 10:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think you did a wonderful thing, but you need to call CPS and get this situation under control.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Lets be fair.....The original question was give MONEY to family, not food. Anyways, I would still give the family food. You did help that family. Look at it through the eyes of those kids. They caught a glimpse of what parents are suppose to be doing because of your actions. Way down the line, I promise you they will remember you and your love.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Spiritually speaking those children will remember your kindness and pay it forward. Just a thought: You could have had the kids help around the store and earn the food for their family.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Mrs. Owens, the kid were removed and turned over to the dad. I was just looking at the situation from another perspective. As for the other question I am just giving another scenario how "hands down" is a strong word. I give money to the church around here. The Catholic Churches have huge resources for families in need. I know giving to them gives a family more than a fish for a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• thank you admckenzie. I do not regret helping the kids at all. Even if they never remember me I did what I know I had to do that day. I was just not going to keep feeding them. I needed to change the situation. The last I heard the kids were in school and had good lives w/their dad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

how very sad you let your limited examples throw a blanket stereo type on the entire group that helps. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I call that being a world changer. You changed the world for those young kids. :-) I still would do both give to the church and the families.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Feed the family.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010