Should you be restricted on welfare?

From owning an animal?
From having more children?
From shopping at high priced grocery stores?

If so, should their be inspections? If any of these are found should they just cancel their benefits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• In terms of adding additional children when on PA- How come ppl believe that poorer folks should not assume some personal responsibility? Have a pet and shop were you like-you're not getting additional support for those things, but adding another child? No, have SOME level of control and responsibility in your life. The government is not your personal bank account.

We had the # of kids that my husband and I could afford to birth, raise, educate and support, period!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I say yes to all of the above. Persecute me if you wish. I at one time had to go to the welfare office to get medical assistance because I was not working full time and had no medical benefits. As I was there waiting for a service that I desperately needed at that point, and women with 3 children and more on the way was busy talking on her cellphone as her children ran amuck. Then another phone rang and she pulled it out of her ankle length fubu coat. Here I am in need, and there she is with a more expensive coat than my entire wardrobe.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• So you want to remove their rights of freedom as Americans bc they are going through a rough time? What if you fell on hard times and had to use PA? Do you want to give up your animals or be told what store to shop at? I've noticed that the high priced grocery stores have better sales than other stores. Maybe they noticed that too and are saving money. It would be advisable for anyone without the means to provide for more children to refrain from having them but we can't target someone and demand them to stop. We can educate them and hope they make good decisions about birth control but we can't force them.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I guess you're less than human and deserve to be treated like shite just because you're poor... how absurd.

While wer're at it, why not ban fat pat people from eating fast food and make them turn in their gorcery bills to the Government because they're costing out Country too much in health care?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• So you want to remove their rights of freedom as Americans bc they are going through a rough time? What if you fell on hard times and had to use PA? Do you want to give up your animals or be told what store to shop at?

shouldnt welfare be a last resort? If you could save 20 bucks a month or more depending on what type of animal you have.. should that go before you get welfare?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Seriously WTF is wrong with some of you people?

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• While wer're at it, why not ban fat pat people from eating fast food and make them turn in their gorcery bills to the Government because they're costing out Country too much in health care?

But what if they aren't costing more in healthcare? Skinny people are sickly too. And what if they are paying for their own insurance policies? Not on WELFARE having other people pay for their constant emergency room visits?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• some people need assistance and they should not be denied the right, well as others abuse the system and our tax dollars pay for it. When our money is tight, we don't splurge and then hope that someone will hand me free money because we now have none. Assistance is just that, to assist, not to live off of forever because it is an easy answer. I know someone who has 3 children, all on PA and time and time again I hear her say I am getting a new tattoo, i am getting a new cell phone, i am having a girls night out.....that is abuse. If you can do all of that then why not get yourself off of public assistance and stand on your own two feet first before living the good life on someone elses dime.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:13 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No. I don't and the reason is that because some ppl will abuse the welfare system you can't punish all ppl who need the help and just "steryo type" ppl that need assistance. It's wrong.
    I have also read that ppl on food stamps should not be able to buy candy or soda. It's justa a load of you know what. I want a child who is on welfare to HAVE treats sometime~after all it's not his fault that his parents are on assistance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Generalizing and pigeon-holing people is not right, is it? Not all people on welfare are not working. Not all people on welfare eat chips and drink soda. Not all people on welfare shop at Whole Foods on purpose because they want to spend YOUR tax dollars.

I worked my as off over 40 hours a week and STILL qualified for food stamps and medical help as well as subsidized daycare. Never once did I lay on my ass and eat bon bons, laughing because I was freeloading.  People on welfare are NOT happy taking help and for anyone to make their lives even more hellish by saying they can't have a damn cat, shop where they want or eat what they want is piss-poor excuse for a human being, and I hope someday you are on the other end- maybe that way, you'll have some empathy for people going through hard times.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2010