Any advice? Anyone have experience with this?

I breastfeed my daughter. She's 9 months old and I've always fed her at bedtime for her to go to sleep and at nap times. Well at her last dr appointment they told me that I shouldn't do that anymore. So now I have to try to break the habit. I was reading on one website that I don't have to cut it out right away but slowly work on it. It said that I should cut out the bedtime feeding first and then she should start falling back to sleep on her own in the night. But it didn't say anything about nap feedings. Should I cut those out right away too? My husband works nights so he sleeps during the day and if I don't have to cut those out for another month would be great because we move in a month and he'll be gone during the day. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

BethRae

Asked by BethRae at 11:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hon, most Peds know NOTHING about BF... that said, no, you do NOT need to begin cutting out feedings at 9 months old. you should still be feeding on demand, as she is about to enter another growth spurt. breast milk fully digests in about 2 hours, and if you refrain from the bedtime feeding, you will have a hungry wailing baby soon after she falls asleep. it is not hurting ANYTHING to feed her when you normally would- you only get one shot at this, and if you listen to every quack doc it's going to end far too soon.
    if your bedtime routine works for you, then you shouldn't change a thing! that was some horrible misinformation, given by a ped who is accustomed to having parents transition from bottle to solids & cows milk- NOT a BF mother.

You do what you FEEL you should, only you can decide. I know for me, those bedtime snuggles were just as important to me as they were to my babies.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I breastfeed dd whenever when shes hungry, so what are you supposed to do, let her just cry herself to sleep? I don't think I could do that.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yeah everyone keeps telling me that I have to just let her cry herself to sleep. It breaks my heart hearing my baby cry. I hate it. I've been trying to let her cry herself to sleep and she's just been crying for the past hour. I know she's tired and not hungry but it helps her sleep. I guess it just makes it harder later when they want to sleep. And I know the longer she breastfeeds the longer it will take her to wean. I'm just trying to cut out feedings slowly but the feedings to help her sleep are the ones that I have problems with.
    BethRae

Answer by BethRae at 11:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think that the pediatrician is wrong. My daughter self-weaned at 23 months; bedtime was the last feeding she dropped. I strongly recommend the book and website Baby Led Weaning: www.babyledweaning.com

We never did CIO, and have a very well adjusted 14 year old.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Some people don't believe in nursing to sleep but I don't think your pediatrician should be telling you you CAN'T do it! Women have been nursing their babies to sleep for centuries and I see nothing wrong with it! I think some moms are too caught up in schedules and goals and forget that your little one is only a baby once and they don't understand your schedule - they just want what they want. That's my opinion...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• also- one more thing... the longer she's BF does NOT mean that it will be harder to wean, it will actually be EASIER as she will be more interested in the world around her, her ability to explore it, and more easily distracted. you shouldn't even begin to think about dropping feedings until she is a year- minimum.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i believe the reason why they don't want you to feed directly before your LO sleeps is because his/her teeth are coming in soon. if milk sits on gums with teeth underneath it could act like milk staying right on the tooth. my grandma was a nanny for a long time and she would brush gums and tongues (breastfed and breastmilk babies) to keep any kind of build up from occurring. i agree that you should feed on demand, but maybe there's a bedtime routine that you could do that puts feeding first, bath, then massage and then bed. it allows time for the food to digest and prolly would help with any reflux or acid that a child gets.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Doctors get no training in lactation management. He does not know what he is talking about. If you email me his name and address I will send him a letter with accurate breastfeeding info.

You can and should breastfeed your baby to sleep for naps and at bedtime. Human milk should be the main source of a baby's nutrition for the whole first year. Nurse whenever the baby wants or when it is a good time for you. The World Health Organization recommend breastfeeding for at least 2 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with all of these mamas - - you most certainly should NOT be cutting out feedings right now. If you choose to wean your daughter rather than have her self-wean, you should be waiting until at least 1 year. Until that point, babies get ALL of their nutrition from breastmilk (or formula) - solid food is for learning, not for nutrients.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Did you ask why? My first thought would be that nursing, like taking a bottle to bed, might leave milk on the teeth that could end up rotting the teeth over time. But unless the teeth are fully in, I don't see how that would be much of a problem yet. Perhaps getting into the habbit of needing to nurse or have a paci to get to sleep can be hard to break, but I hardly see that as a reason to stop.
    Anonymous