Is 2 miles too far to make a 5 yr old walk?

My 3 kids have 3 different school schedules. The oldest is 7:18-1:25. The 8 yr old is 8:28-2:30. The 5 yr old is 8:28-12:33. All I do all day is drive! Anyways I was thinking I could pick up the 5 yr old by car then go home and WALK to pick up my 13 yr old. It is 1 mile, a straight shot, to his school. Would 1 mile there and 1 mile back be too much?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 11:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Every day, yes. Why not get some snacks or games and drive straight to the other school and hang out until the 13 yo gets out. You'd be sitting in the car less than an hour. I guess you could ask him all about his day. But that just seems like a lot both ways on a 5yo.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes. Can you have a neighbor watch the child while you walk up and get the other child?

Answer by admckenzie at 11:11 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No...I don't know any of our neighbors. I don't have to walk. I was just trying to do less driving and add some exercise.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• no..but i guess it would depend on your kid. My kid could do it with no problem he loves being outside and is full of energy. Some kids would dread it. As long as you are walking with your child i dont see a problem...i wouldnt let them go alone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I could never let my 5 year old walk alone. I don't care if it was across the street or even to the front yard. That's scary and unsafe. I would drive as long as I had to in order to insure my children's safety.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think its a nice idea to get out, get some exercise, and take in the fresh air. It might be a good idea to pull a wagon in case your little one gets tuckered out.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Where are you people getting that I want him to walk ALONE??????????????????????????? I want to walk WITH him!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• That's way too far for little legs to walk everyday.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Now now, don't get your panties in a twist. And I don't need hate mail, so you can stop sending it.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You have issues banana. Maybe you need glasses.... =D
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2010