do you watch the clock for nap times or wait to see signs of tiredness? (same question for meal times, if you can answer)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never watch the clock for either. Although they are the same time most days, sometimes they do vary and I take my cue from LO.
    picot08

Answer by picot08 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I watch the clock for both. But as far as meals go its not as manditory as nap time. I'll give them a little healthy snack whenever they say they're hungry. Nap time is at 1pm, no matter what! lol
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Nap time is suppose to be at 2:30 but if he is showing signs of being really cranky, I will lay him down before then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• A little of both. If it gets to a certain time (usually 11:30-12:00, whenever I notice), I start looking for signs instead of just waiting for them to appear. If I still don't see anything by 12:30-1:00, I put him to bed anway for some "quiet time", and he usually ends up falling asleep.

Meal times...my husband and both work full time. In the morning, he's usually hungry first thing, dragging me to the kitchen and wanting me to help him open the fridge, lol. Lunch I'm not there, and then I start making dinner as soon as I get home, but sometimes he's hungry before it's done, so I'll give him something else to snack on until it's done.

I generally go by cues, though. It involves a lot less hassle on both ends, and he eats/sleeps better that way.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Meal/snack times stay on a pretty regular routine but nap time really depends on him. He doesn't always need the same amount of sleep and I know his cues well enough to know when to put him down for one. His big brother on the other hand, was on his own schedule like clockwork when he was a baby/toddler. Everything at the exact same time every day.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Well for sleeping/naps my son will NEVER show signs of being tired, except and extra surge of energy.. i have always gone by the clock with him. with food, I have done both, but he won't tell me when he's hunrgy either most times - he's 2 and has great verbal skills, he's just so active and I think to stop to eat is a pain to him, so I clock that also to make sure he's getting enough
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• A little of both. My daughter is in day care, so they have a set schedule. I try to stick to it, but if she sleeps in, then we adjust and if she's not hungry, I don't force her to eat. She's on her own with potty and snacks she can ask, but she usually doesn't have to. I know about when she needs to eat by her behavior! :) And it's usually around the same time each day.
    Anonymous

• I watch the clock. DS doesn't show signs of being tired until he is ready to crash and by then he is overly tired. He is very good about telling us when he is ready to eat. I still start making lunch by noon and naptime is between 12:30 and 1.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We loosely stick to a schedule that is similar to the schedule at daycare, though we do tend to push naps and meals a little later on the weekends than they do at daycare during the week. I do also watch for signs, but since I have twins I will put them down for nap and feed them at the same time regardless of whether they both seem 100% ready.
    Anonymous

• Yes. We have a loose routine and around 11is we have lunch and when we are done it's nap time.... I leave for work at 2:30 so I need him up and ready to go to daycare so my hopes are to have him sleeping by 12:00.
    On the weekends things are a little different and we go based a bit more on his cues and we also tend to be out and about more and times get messed up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010