2 year old waking now again at night 1-3 times...

My son who turned 2 in Nov. had a bad virus 3 weeks ago where he threw up everything for 12 hours straight from 5pm to 5am. I slept next to his crib and held him while he threw up and I think it scared him but ever since, he's been waking up at night. Either screaming for me, or wanting his blanket put back on him or wanting water or crying about his shoes ( which I think might be bad dreams? ) but I wondering if its an age thing/ growing spurt phase or could it have to do with when he was sick - after he was sick I ended up laying on the floor next to his crib because he would get so upset.. now I can go in there, tell him everything is ok and he will go back to bed but its been 2-1/2 weeks and its not getting better.. should I stop going in there?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Our pedi said it can take about a week to get back into a normal routine when sleep has been disturbed. If it's been 3 weeks, it should be back to normal now. Does he sleep well during the day? Being overtired can lead to poor sleep. Bad dreams can start creeping in at this age too. But if he's in the habbit of you running in every time he makes a noise (especally after being sick), it might just be habbit at this point. If you know he's OK, let him cry for 5 minutes before you go in there. Rub his back and try to get him back to sleep without interacting with him much. See if that helps any.
    Anonymous

• It is never a good idea to let a child cio or ignor his cries. It is important for him to know he can count on his parent for help.

He may have gotten used to you being there. It may take awhile for him to start sleeping through the night again. Do whatever it takes for him to make it through the night and be patient.

Next time he is sick it may be better to take him to another room rather than you sleep in his room. That way he won't get used to you in his room. If you can figure out a safe way for him and you to sleep not in your room that would be best. He could get used to your room. A guest room would be great, if not the living room or family room.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If you know everything is fine no reason to get up everytime he cries. He is not an infant and needs to adjust to sleeping through the night again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• This happens when my son gets sick as well. As a matter of fact he was just sick very recently and his stuffed up nose and couch kept wakign him up...now that his cold is gone...he is just starting to get back on track sleeping at night. Last night he woek up at 11:45pm and that was it for the night thank goodness. The week prior he was waking up 2-3 times a night.
    IMO it's from being sick and something he'll just have to work himself out of again :)
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 12:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2010