is cutting someone else's child's fingernails crossing a boundary ?

I have a seven month old and I cut his nails more than three times a week
(usually touch up cutting, cutting off sharp corners). I babysit occasionally for my aunt's six month old. Her daughter's nails are ridiculously long and she's cut my face by grabbing it and she cuts her face and ears constantly. I cut her nails and my aunt seemed offended. I would do it again. I'm just wondering if you would do the same thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hell yes i would do the same thing. little babies scratch themselves if you don't cut there nails. your just looking out for her childs safety and the fact that the mom is not doing it herself and letting her baby scratch herself makes me question her parenting skills.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 11:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If the nails are hurting you, you have every right to cut them if she won't. Let your aunt know that her baby's nails cut you and her baby, and that you will cut them if they get too long. That's what I would do.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• absolutely- I have had to every time my sisters brood (she has 5) visit, along with cleaning their disgusting ears...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If I were you, I would have told her about getting scratched. If you would have told her or even mentioned how long they were she probably would have done it herself. Some kids dont like getting their nails cut, and squirm and cry, even when you do it while t hey're asleep.How does she know that didn't happen while she was away and the child was in your care? I just think you should have said something before just doing it on your own. She may have even said it was fine for you to do it , but you didn't ask, so she's probably just thinking negatively about the whole thing.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I would do it. I think the mother should thank you. If she isn't doing it she may have trouble doing it, some people do. She may not want to admit she has problems. I would just let it go and not be upset with any comments.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• its fine. I would say hey I cut little Katie's nails today after she scratched herself, me and my child. They get long fast don't they? And them leave it at that.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• thanks guys...i dont feel as horrible about doing it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i think it is crossing a line. she's not your child. if you don't like being scratched, put mittens on her. you should have called and asked first. i personally do care because there are people in my life that i do not trust with tiny nails such as these. IMO i think you should have discussed it with her mom first. if you skipped that then you know for a fact that you went outside of your right and crossed the mother's right. everyone on here is willing to say "raise your child the way you see fit" but when someone disagrees with grooming habits they are all about supporting someone on here rather than saying that the woman can raise her child as she sees fit. you should have asked her.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think for some reason you aunt is paranoid that you're gonna go running around cutting strangers' baby's nails which is absolutely ridiculous!!!

She's your aunt, she trusts you with her baby plus you have a baby same age - she's being off the wall for some reason.

If you cut her baby's hair short or pierced her baby's ears without her permission now that's something to get upset over.

You didn't do anything wrong at all. You helped her baby not scratch her own eyes or anybody else. Just tell her that and that she needs to move on even if its that she takes babysitting elsewhere.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• shit i wouldnt be i would be thankful i hate cutting my sons nails i usually have his uncle do it lol or anyone else i can get to do it he's also 3 months and wont sit still but i would love it if you did that for me lol
    Anonymous