breast feeding and weight loss ?????

I Have heard that breast feeding helps the extra pounds from preganancy come off easier. So i was just wondering if you breast feeding moms have found this to be true or is it just another old wives tale?

junebutterfly

Asked by junebutterfly at 11:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, very true for me.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 11:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It's true. Breastfeeding burns calories and if you eat for one you will loose weight. If you eat for two you won't. Of course we are talking breastfeeding for a long time not a few weeks. It may be 6 - 12 months for some moms. There are moms who loose right away.

I had problems keeping my weight up to 100 when I was breastfeeding. I'm 5'2". I look at pictures and I look starved. I had 3 children and breastfed 10 years of my life.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• yes its true!! I managed to lose the weight I gained while pregnant (about 35 pds)
    I gave birth 6mths ago
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I HAVE BREASTFED MY FIRST CHILD AND IT SEEMED TO WORK A LITTLE BIT BUT NOT A WHOLE BUNCH. YOU HAVE TO WATCH WHAT YOU EAT WHEN YOU BREAST FEED BECAUSE IT GOES TO THE BABY. I KNOW I WAS TEMPTED TO EAT SPICY FOOD LOL. IT WORKS IN SOME WAYS BUT I WOULDN'T SWEAR OFF EXCERCISE
    Lele1987

Answer by Lele1987 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I guess I was one of the unlucky ones :( Although I did gain A LOT of weight (55lbs) with my first pregnancy so looking back I did lose some weight but not a lot. It took me 4-5 years to lose it all and of course I wasn't breastfeeding for all those years lol just the first 13 months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome also and that makes it really hard to lose weight and I gain super easy so that may have been the reason.

We'll see what happens with this baby! But yeah, I envy the women who lost a ton of weight when breastfeeding!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 11:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I gained 24 pounds while I was pregnant. I breastfed and lost it all in eight weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Depends on the mom most breastfeeding moms I know use breastfeeding as an excuse to continue eating like they did when pregnant and often gain weight. As long as you are burning more calories than you eat you will lose weight no matter how you feed your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010