For Those Against Physician Assisted Suicide-

What are your beliefs with regards to people refusing or withdrawling treatments when they receive a "Terminal" diagnosis.

Action or refusal to act, both with the same likely result (hasten death), and both physician involved and aware-

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NO it isnt the same. Refusing treatment and being given the meds to kill you are 2 different things.
    LIke I said though before about this, I honestly dont know where I stand onit .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Refusing treatment does not hasten death. It allows it to occur in its normal time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• What is "Normal Time"?

What is the goal in refusing treatment? How does that goal differ from assisted suicide?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'm iffy on the issue anyway, but I think these 2 things are completely different. Refusing treatment allows death to come naturally. It doesn't change your path any, it's just as it would be if treatment weren't available.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree that the path taken to death is different, but the end product is the name. Mds are involved and aware in both cases. In AS, the Md is actively involved, as opposed to passively involved in ROT.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Why does someone need a physician to commit suicide? People do it on their own all the time.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Have you ever witnessed death. They revived my MIL and put her on a ventilator in spite of the fact that she had been without oxygen to her brain for well over 5 minutes. Some of the treatment they can give now is worse than doing nothing. It can prolong death and pain. You need to look up the words hasten and prolong. Because that is the difference. There is no avoiding death. It will come for all of us one day. I'm all in favor of Do Not Resuscitate orders. I don't approve of Suicide (physician assisted or otherwise) You asked for my beliefs.  If you don't agree, you have that right, but don't think you can succesfully argue that doing nothing speeds death.  I don't like the "you must do something, anything even if it increases pain and will all end the same way just 2 weeks or 2 months later" attitude.  Sometimes doing nothing is the kindest thing you can do.

Anonymous

• A terminal patient is already dying. The medications/treatments are just delaying the process. Assisted suicide is sometimes used on people that aren't already dying. IMO it isn't a fair comparison.

I have mixed emotions on assisted suicide. As Carpy said people do it on their own all the time. Instead of making it legal or illegal, I am more comfortable with a "don't ask, don't tell" policy..with the doctors backing up the procedure process and patient wishes with signatures and video.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I am fine with either method as long as it is the patient that is making the decision and they are of sound mind to be able to make that decision.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Ditto what Quinn said.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2010