Catholic Wedding. Help!

I am Baptist but my fiance is Catholic. I want to have a Catholic wedding because I know that is what he wants. But I have NO CLUE what I'm doing. We have a daughter already which I'm not sure will be a problem or not. Can someone help me?

Thanks. =]

sopheeahsmommy

Asked by sopheeahsmommy at 11:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was Catholic my husband was not when we got married and we had a child. We called the priest who baptised the child and he quickly set a date I think he wanted it more than we did :)

We took classes and that was about it. No lectures, no sin of going to hell, no pressure to go to Mass more. In fact, he said we already are a family we are just becoming a more holy family. Have your fiance or future MIL/FIL set up an appointment with the church.

congratulations!
    Anonymous

• I was raised Baptist, and converted to Catholicism before my husband and I were married. I would recommend that you speak with a priest. My grandparents who are Southern Baptists did not come to my wedding because their pastor told them that I was going to Hell for my beliefs.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You should call your local catholic church and speak with a priest. They can point you in the right direction. When my parents married, many yrs ago my Dad had to take some classes and become a catholic in order to Marry my Mom in her church. Times have changed so I don't know how they do it now. GL, and Congrats on the upcoming marriage!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• definitely find your parish and talk to the priest or even someone in the office.

I'm not catholic (wasn't baptized) but married a Catholic - I had a few 'sit downs' with the priest who'd be marrying us. we had to go to marriage preparation classes put on by the church, and I did a few other things as well. I didn't have to convert since I wasn't baptized in any other religion.

GOOD LUCK! its a very interesting faith.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• In addition to my answer above, PreCana or marriage preparation courses are mandatory, as will as meeting with the priest who is marrying you. You must contact the priest no fewer than 6 months prior to when you want to be married. Also, your fiance will have to vow to baptize your children and raise them as Catholics
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Im surprised... My dad raised a Presbyterian married my step mom a catholic and I was never forced to be raised or baptized as a catholic. I believe that you do need to go through the pre marital prep and talk to the priest.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• That you are not Catholic and that you already have a child should not prevent a Catholic marriage. Your fiance should talk to the priest at the church for specifics. Basically the two of you will have to take marriage prep classes - either meeing with the priest or as a class with other couples. They're designed to give you and your finance to talk about things like goals, fiances, child discipline, methods of communication - things to help your marriage succeed. And you'll have several options in the actual cermony - which bible readings to read, what music and things like that. Most parishes have someone who will help you thorugh that. You might want to consider a book called "Catholicism for Dummies" which explains the Catholic faith a bit - many people have misunderstandings about what is taught that that could help.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You must contact the priest no fewer than 6 months prior to when you want to be married.

99.9% of the time this is true. Our church is smaller so 4 months is adequate but I have seen some churches book up 9-12 months in advance.
    Anonymous

• My dad raised a Presbyterian married my step mom a catholic and I was never forced to be raised or baptized as a catholic.

If he married your step Mon I assume you were already born and she is not your biological mother. Therefore, she, the Catholic, would not make a promise how to raise you. However, making a promise and keeping a promise are two different things. Were you parents married in the Catholic Church?

When we got married I had agreed to raise our children in the faith. My husband had to make a promise he would not interfere with this promise.
    Anonymous