Pull ups or Underwear when traveling

We are moving in a week from Tx (on the tx/nm border) to Tn. Our oldest has been potty trained for about a year now, but still has accidents in his sleep. We are driving about 8hrs a day for 3 days w/ some breaks. The thing is there are stretches in TX that there are few exits to get off to go potty. Plus he sleeps in the car on longer trips. I know he will want to wear big boy underwear, but I'm kind of nervous about it. I dont know what we would do if he peed in his car seat since it would be the only one we have for him and because we wont have a washer to wash it. So would you do pullups in the car or underwear? Oh and I should probably mention we let him wear underwear on a 2hr plane ride and he fell asleep and peed in the seat (we cleaned it and let the FAs know and we switched out the seat bottoms so nobody had to sit in it).

CorbinsMomma

Asked by CorbinsMomma at 12:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There's lots of pullups for boys know whose design and feel is really like regular cloth bigboy undies. I'd put him in those new type of pullsup and have them out in his room and suitcase packing for the move _BUT NOT in its' original packaging. That way your older son stands a strong chance of thinking he is wearing a new kind of regular cloth bigboy cause the pullups for kids egos look so much like the regulars.

And about your two hour plane ride - I'd have done the exact same thing telling the flight a's and seat bottoms!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Since it is such a long trip and in a car seat i would go ahead with the pull up but stress that he should still tell you he has to go and stop for potty breaks often.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• you might put him back to peeing in his pants all the time, it happened with my oldest, I would suggest maybe putting a plastic bag under him and taking extra pants and underwear with you. You might try what the first posted said just make sure you tell him its a one time deal and that he still needs to tell you when he needs to go.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 4:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I don't think one trip would set him back. Just explain the reasons why he has to wear them. My son wears them to bed and he knows that it's just in case he has an accident. I tell him (as has been suggested) that he still needs to use the potty. Even wearing the pull-ups he still gets up and goes if he has to pee/bm before he falls asleep. If your son still wants to wear his big boy underwear let him wear them over the pull-ups. You both win and no pee smell(or worse poop smell) in the car during your trip.
    jennilyn890

Answer by jennilyn890 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I say, No Pullups! They just confuse kids and they know that pullups are just glorified diapers. He might regress in his toileting abilities. Just put his potty chair in the floor of the car and pull over if he needs to potty. I have done this with my daughter and it was just fine. Good Luck!
    lovetoteach1988

Answer by lovetoteach1988 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Thanks everyone. We dont actually have a potty chair...never used one. We got him to use the toilet from the start. Plus if we did there isnt room in the car...its packed full of our stuff. We are going to try w/o pullups until nap time then we put one on him, and after nap we take it off. He uses them at night because he has horrible night bladder control.
    CorbinsMomma

Answer by CorbinsMomma at 8:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We did underwear all the way on his request and NOT ONE accident!!!!
    CorbinsMomma

Answer by CorbinsMomma at 9:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2010