How can I get my 2 1/2 year old to pee on the potty?

I have tried bribery and praise, she will not use the potty she holds it in for up to three hours and then the first chance she gets she hides and pees.

cntrypeach2001

Asked by cntrypeach2001 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always said I wouldn't spank a child of mine while potty training, but I broke my own rule. Our only daughter(we also had 2 sons) was about the age of your child. She would wake up dry in the mornings, so I knew she needed to pee. I would take her to the potty and she would sit and refuse to pee. As soon as I put her in the high chair, she peed in the floor. This went on for quite some time. So one morning, after she had sat and didn't pee, I told her that if she peed in the floor, she was going to get a spanking. She peed in the floor and I spanked her. That was the end of it. From that morning, she peed in the potty and I don't remember her ever having an accident. She was a very stubborn child and determined to win. Those traits have turned out to be very good for her, but I sure spanked her butt for peeing in the floor and she sure stopped it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• She may just not be ready. My daughter was four by the time she was completely out of diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son will be 3 in May and I just not got him potty trained ( except at night and nap times, and sometimes he does get up and go ) BUT he was not interested in it at all up until about a mth or two ago. But one day I took his diaper off and let him run around for a while naked and he started going on the potty!!!! And now i've got him going while wearing underwear and pants...maybe she'll be able to realize shes got to go better if shes free :) I don't know just a suggestion.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• show her the potty, let her watch you, and reward yourself in front of her when you go. tell her she can get a reward too. also, there is a book about potty training in one day, i bought it and basically it wants u to have a party. in the morning get a baby that pees and show her and then when the baby pees, your child gets the reward. and make ur child drink a lot that morning. then in the afternoon, its ur childs turn. you take your child to the bathroom, and if she pees, reward. hth
    Anonymous

• Take her potty chair shopping and let her pick the one she wants. Make a big deal about it. Let her try them out at the store by sitting on them if she wants. It would be a good idea to go when there aren't many people there.

If you don't have a store with a lot of potty choices you could show her some on the computer or in catalogs. Let her pick and order it and make a big deal about it coming.

Make up a potty dance. When she potties in the potty you do the potty dance. If she has pottied somewhere else punishment is not going to teach her good behavior. It's like a puppy, if they have already pottied in the house rubbing their nose in it won't work.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'd argue that she is ready if she holds it, then hides to do it. She knows it's wrong, but something is keeping her from using the toilet. Do you have a potty chair or a do you use the toilet? Anything could have happened to make her afraid of it. Maybe she fell in the big potty or it's too cold or the sound scares her. Maybe a potty chair would be better? Or maybe she's afraid of the potty chair and wants ot use the toilet. It's hard to tell. When my daughter decided to squat by the fridge fully clothed and pee (after being successful quite a few times and pull down her pants - all on her own!) I gave her a spanking. She knew better. The potty chair was just a few more steps. And she didn't do that again after that. You just have to gage why she's hiding to pee. It's hard to get them to talk at this age, but enocurage her to talk about going potty and read books and give stickers or something.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first poster, that worked for my son too. The plan I originally had didn't work. IMO praise is good once they do it, I give my son a hug and a kiss (which he loves) but he doesn't get treats, special treatment etc.. because he is supposed to go on the potty. I wouldn't let your daughter hide, watch her all day, that is what I had to do in the beginning. WHen she starts peeing put her on the potty. Also, get rid of diapers completely, they shouldn't even be an option if you want her to potty train. It's one or the other (except at night of course).

And I don't agree with the notion that they will tell you when they are ready, some kids do this but not all and the parents of those kids who wait for their kids to tell them have 4 year olds in diapers. Trust me I worked in child care for years, There is nothing more disturbing then changing a 4 year olds diaper.

Good luck!
    Anonymous