I want to quit breastfeeding!

I have a 2 week old baby. I have been breastfeeding. This is my second child. I am miserable! I am carrying around DDD. Thats right! I am not a big woman. I got a breast infection and then started pumping to insure that I am completly emptying them so I don't get another infection. That is leaving me to pump every 3-5 hrs. I am exhausted from it.But I feel guilty. Mainly because of my mother inlaw. She breastfeed ALL 5 children for a year. Infact her last baby she had RA and was put on meds to so she could breastfeed not only was she in a ton of pain but gained 40lbs just so she could nurse her baby. I don't want to be judged and that is the only thing keeping me from quitting at this point. Any Advice or words of encouragement?

Audreysmama2118

Asked by Audreysmama2118 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can keep doing it. It can seem hard. With my first. I would say I will give it one more month. Before I knew it was easy and something I really enjoyed. It is such a bonding time. There will be bumps along the way but just keep saying I can do this and I know this is best for my baby.
    Anonymous

• breastfeeding is a personal choice that only a mother has a right to make. dont let other's influence your decision. i do agree that breast milk is best... however, it is not for everyone. i had plans to nurse my daughter for a year. but had to quit shortly after she was 3 months (i had G's girl...so i feel your pain on the big boobies lol). tell your mother in law that you appreciate her opinion... the choice is yours... and yours alone to make
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 1:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You don't need to pump when you have a breast infection. Pumping can actually cause an infection. Stop pumping and just breastfeed. If your breast gets too full you can hand express. You don't even need to own a pump. Sell it on Craigslist and do something fun with the money. I breastfed 3 children over 2 years each and never had to pump.

Breastfeeding does not make your breasts big. After a few weeks your breasts will become smaller. Thats why some women think they don't have enough milk and quit breastfeeding. It's normal for breasts to become smaller somewhere around 6 weeks.

www.kellymom.com is a great website with info about breastfeeding.

Mothering Magazine has good breastfeeding support on their discussion boards at www.mothering.com

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Just to give you some perspective- I am a size 4 and a 34 D, but when I was breastfeeding- I wore a 36 J . Yep, that's a J cup!! I had to special order bras from England. I felt like a carnival side show and hated going out in public. I could have fed 10 babies with these jugs. It was insane, but I stuck with it for as long as I could. Here's the thing- the more you pump, the worse it's going to be. The more you pump and empty your breasts, the MORE milk your body will make, and the larger you will be. Dealing with an oversupply problem is no walk in the park and takes a while to get under control. I did it by nursing from only 1 breast for each feeding, then switching to the next for the next feeding, and so on. I did this until I was making just enough milk for my son and the oversupply problem was gone. Hope this helps.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• sweety u follow your heart she will be healthy either way
    my mom tryed to get me to breast feed but i never wanted to i dont regreat it
    and i just refused for her to make me
    but if u feel u should there is alot of moms that would say go for it girl and u will feel better as well
    cherylc1962
    cherylc1962

Answer by cherylc1962 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Then stop breastfeeding. You took your child through the most important part in the beginning. You gave the baby a great start. You did good so you can stop now. Tell your mil that her choice was her's and you respect it and you'd like her to respect your's

Answer by admckenzie at 1:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with PP who stated you have an oversupply problem. I would contact an LC before making anything final.  Your MIL's influence might be pushing you to quit more than you think. GL.

http://www.llli.org/

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Remember that breastfeeding isn't just a personal decision. It is a health choice that has lifelong impact for you and your baby. You will have decreased risk of breast cancer and osteoporosis. The baby has many benefits including cancer, heart disease, decreased risk of obesity, speech and oral development, IQ, and others.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Really, you're in the thicke of it right now. It's about as bad as it's going to get and after 6 weeks or so, it will start getting much *easier*!

Just hang in there... give it that full 6 weeks and it should get easier. Stop pumping, you will only tell your body to make more milk than it needs to (which only leads to more pumping). Make sure baby empties the breast at each feeding.

We've all been ready to quit at some point... even your MIL, I'm sure. The difference between those who are successful and those who aren't is the decision to give up. Just don't give up, it will get better and easier. you just have to get through the first several weeks.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You seem like you want the ache to stop not to stop breastfeeding. You need HELP. Pumping is causing the oversupply. Baby at breast will help and the your breast will regulate supply and you wont be so engorged. Join the breastfeeding moms group at cafemom, find a local LLL, and also visit http://www.kellymom.com/

I gets better.  Talk to women who have been through problems.      You don't want to regret stopping when your problems are fixed...as many people find later.   If you do decide to stop you have to do it properly or the hurt you are in now will seem like a walk in the park.

It isn't easy at first.  My baby and I had latch issues and my nipples were in pain...but getting the problem fixed with help, having a plan of action, and sticking with it made all the difference,

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010