Where do you put your toddler when you need a minute to do something?

I have a very active 9 month old. He is walking(very well) and into everything. I have a play pen, but he hates it, he will only sit in his crib when sleepy. So I have completely baby proofed his room. No cords he can get ahold of, nothing small he can swallow, nothing he could climb on or under. So now whenever I need to do something, like sweep(he always tries to get into the dirt) or use the bathroom, I let him play in there while I listen to the baby moniter. Do you think this is okay? If not what suggestions do you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive did the same thing, totally baby proofed his room and have a baby gate in the door. My husbands grandma is actually a children's 1st nurse. If you dont know what that is, she specializes in infants and toddlers and educated new parents on raising kids. Its become quite hepful. She said it is perfectly fine and actually benifical for a child to play alone for a bit. Its not like your neglecting them. I know the first time you do that you feel that way, I did. Clearly though, we are moms and we need to get other things done as well. So just be sure to double check everything in his room for safety, nothing he can put around his neck or anything toxic he could put in his mouth and I also went as far as making sure if he were to attempt to climb anything it could not fall on him , by seccuring it to the wall. Everyone has their own opinions, but from all the moms ive talked to its common and you have your baby monitor too.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 1:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i put him either in an umbrella stroller or his high chair.
    Anonymous

• sorry forgot to add, i wouldnt leave him in the room alone, you never know what could happen. i'd rather him fuss in his chair for a little bit.
    Anonymous

• Your solution sounds like a good idea. I put mine in a playpen. They only had toys in there that they could play with while in the playpen, and they didn't mind being in there. I could also place the playpen near where I was- working in the kitchen, for example, so they could see me.

Answer by Bmat at 1:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Well I would always try and wait for my kids to nap to do anything, but otherwise I would just put them in their crib with toys, they didnt' always like it, but they also never suffered for it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I put the toddler in a sling if I'm doing something that he can't walk around. Never owned a crib or playpen. With 3 children and now a grandson I only have a car seat and slings and carriers. I hold my grandson while he naps. Nothing is better than holding a sleeping child. He sleeps with his parents. He is 16 months old. They don't have any crib or playpen either.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• That sounds fine to me. I just put mine in front of the TV and put Dora the Explorer on or another one of her favorite shows and she'll sit right there and not move.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 1:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• When my children were that young I would just leave them in the room nearby with some toys. We also have a playroom where I could put them when I needed a minute.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 1:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• infant carrier or toddler backpack

Answer by rkoloms at 2:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• sounds like a good idea. I would use the high chair when I could and I had a baby gate that is a big play pin (big circle made form several gate sections). I opened it and spread it across the great room so that room would be baby proofed and I could still easily see and get to my daughter if I needed to. And it was a big room, so she wasn't too mad about it until she was walking more. At 9 months it's hard. After a year, they can "help" more, but even then it's more messing than helping! :)
    Anonymous