depressed

i am so depressed i cant even concentrate at work. i need a serious mental break but i dont know how to do that when i am the one who supports my family financially and i dont want to loose my good job. i feel like i am screaming and no one hears me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• What is causing you to be depressed? Simply being at work too much or is it something else? If you can't pin point the answer then you may be clinically depressed, which isnt an uncommon thing at all. More than 80% of people are taking some form of medication for a chemical imbalance that causes our brains to react funny sometimes, it can cause depression, ocd, anxiety etc. Medication could make a huge difference in your outlook on life and work.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 1:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Maybe you should try to get out after work with some girlfriends or something. Try to take more time for YOU so you don't feel so overwhelmed.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Since you are having trouble at work you need to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. Drugs or talk therapy or both may be helpful. I'm sorry you are feeling so down. Try to get more sunlight.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• sorry i know that statement was so vague but i had to get it out. something tragic happend in my family and i have been dealing with it. me and my husband start counseling thursday but i just hate that i have to stay strong and keep a smile on my face like everything is normal and come to work so my family can eat.. its just very hard for me right now and i dont feel like i have anyone to talk to about my true feelings except one person and i have already talked her ear off so i dont want to beat a dead horse you know
    Anonymous

• talking about things definately does help. Feel free to e-mail me, Im a total stranger but Im also a good listener and Ive been through a lot myself so its usually pretty easy to relate.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 2:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Please ask your doctor for a referral to a mental health professional.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• thank you ilovemychi..i have been putting post on here about what happened in my life recently
    it involves child sex abuse and i had to call dcf and the police and my whole family is torn apart now
    Anonymous

• Talking about things is the very best way to get relief from issues that depress you. Keeping it all inside is the worst thing you can do. You do not have to pretend that everything is glorious when in fact, it is not. You don't have to go into all the details with people at work. You can just say that you are struggling with some personal decisions or issues or whatever word you choose to use. Nobody can be deliriously happy all the time, and there is no need to pretend that you are the lone exception to that. So give yourself permission to be sad, if that's what you need. Cry if you feel like crying. We are all human, and we all struggle, and we all have emotions. Don't pretend! You don't have to cry on everyone's shoulder, but you can be honest with them and with yourself.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I haven't had a family tragedy, but I've dealth with depression on and off throughout my life. I'm a working parent, too, so I know that stress. Try to do little things that make you feel good - buy a great smelling soap for your shower, maybe take a short walk on your lunch break. I know it's impossible to find "me" time, so the best advice I can offer is to make sure you're eating healthy meals, getting a bit of exercise, and maybe taking a vitamin supplement. Delight in your children as much as you can. Get some sunlight - the winter season brings out depression in a lot of people. Also, don't feel bad about asking your doctor if you need an anti-depressant. It may give you the help you need through a rough patch. I try to remind myself how great it is to be needed and loved by my family.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• thank you all for your responses. i am seeking counseling now. i hope it helps becuase i dont know how much longer my marriage can hold on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010