Sleeping strictly on your left side during pregnancy

I've read that you're to sleep strictly on your left side during pregnancy because sleeping on your back or right side constricts blood/oxygen flow to your baby. I've been trying to sleep on my left side, but after a while it gets sore and I want to turn the other way. And sometimes I roll over in my sleep without knowing it. Has anyone here actually followed this rule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I read this but it only matters after the 4th month?? i believe thats the month.. early pregnancy its okay to sleep in other positions.. im only about 6 weeks so im trying to practice sleeping on that side now.. im NOT a left side sleeper so i gotta get used to it.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• it's an impossible rule to follow, I would always start out on my left side, but wherever I ended up in the am, was where I ended up. Oh and with my daugher, she was ON my left side, so sleeping on that side was DAMN painfull.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Nope
    I tossed and turned and everything was just fine. I even would inmy sleep lay at an angle slightly on my stomach but it never hurt me or my daughter.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No. It's silly. I slept however I felt like sleeping....except not on my tummy of course. My kids came out fine.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The books do tell you to sleep on the Left side.. however they also state you WILL roll around all the time and thats fine as well, dont panic.. but they do want you to try and sleep on your left..
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I didn't sleep on my left side, i slept on my belly. And my doctor said it was fine as long as I was comfortable and I was untill about 30 weeks, So really I don't think it matters how you sleep as long as you are comfortable.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I slept on my left side constantly. I was so excited for the baby to be born so I could have my freedom with positions lol! As long as you can lie down on your left side for a while it's better than nothing
    !!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I sleep however I want...back, either side or on my tummy...as long as I am comfortable. I tried to follow that crap advice with my first and was so miserable by the end (because my hips and shoulders hurt so much) that I cried myself to sleep every night. All of my doctors have thought it crazy advice, too. They always told me to sleep however I was comfortable which is what I did and had much happier pregnancies after the first.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• according to my book and my midwife, if you were on your back/right side and the blood flow was restricted, you would turn in your sleep. basically my midwife said that if i was in a bad position, i would get uncomfortable and move. i make an effort to start out on my left side but i toss and turn to my right side, back , stomach.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I brought this up to my doctor and he told me I was reading too much- lol! No, he said that there was reason to believe that there is slightly better blood flow on your left side but no real reason to indicate there is insufficient blood flow when you are on your right side or on your back. He said it was fine to sleep however I was comfortable. I am a side sleeper and having a pillow between my knees really helped keep my hips and back in line and made me more comfortable.

I think what matters most is that you get sleep, not so much in which position you get the sleep. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2010