Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband is sick and we aren't sure if it is poisoning or not

So, my DH was putting antifreeze in his truck yesterday, and when he was done he smoked a cigarette, and immediately started throwing up. He thought he may have gotten some of the antifreeze on his hand and then onto his cig and smoked it, so he called poison control but they said not to worry about it. But he was really pale all night and I just had to go pick him up from work b/c he was too dizzy and sick to drive home. He's been able to keep food down, but barely. Does anyone know about antifreeze poisoning or whether we ought to take him to the dr? Money is tight right now so we can only afford to go if absolutely necessary!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

Answers (7)
  • I would call poison controll back and tell them whats going on since you called last and see what they say.
    Sorry I couldnt be more help.
    mommymeg03

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Uh...not to sound mean, but that really seems like it should warrant an ER visit. I'd suck up the cost and take him...rather be safe than sorry.
    OneToughMami

    Answer by OneToughMami at 2:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • poison control would know...sounds like something else.
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • i dont think you could become deathly sick from getting a little on your hands and touching your cigarette or inhaling it...you would have to ingest it
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • To me, honestly, it sounds like the flu but I agree, call poison control back. I'm pretty sure it would take more than just a splash to make him sick. My dad (this is gross), but he's been a mechanical my whole life and there isn't a fluid on the car that he hasn't tasted. Half the time a little taste is what tells him which fluid it is, so I would say that's probably not it.

    However,if it is the flu and he went to the doctor he could get Tamiflu to help out and get him back on his feet quicker, if it is the flu.
    heatheryn

    Answer by heatheryn at 2:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • coincidence mostly. antifreeze doesn't work that way. ethylene glycol works on the metabolic systems slowly with smaller doses over a consistent period of time, a large enough dose to poison him would be obvious.
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 2:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Is it possible he could have ingested it accidentally if the antifreeze wasn't in it's original container? It could be that he was bit by some kind of spider or insect, he could be allergic to their venom, idk?
    goldilocks70

    Answer by goldilocks70 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN