Need some advice please!

My daughter is very large for her age, she is 6 months old and weighs 25 pounds 11 oz and she is 24 inches long. Her doctor had some blood tests done last week and her cortisol levels are high? does anyone else's children have this? Or no anything about it? She is a very happy baby and she dosent over eat. I am nursing and she eats every 4 to 6 hours and one jar of baby food a day. Im really scared for what might come of this. Fisrt we have to do more blood work tomarow Thanks

proudmom20000

Asked by proudmom20000 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anyone?
    proudmom20000

Answer by proudmom20000 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'm reading a book called "Nursing your Baby" by Karen Pryor. The book discusses the nursed babies can and often do grow completely differently than formula fed babies and that many doctors are using growth charts that show the growth patterns of formula babies.

I would seek a second opinion from a pediatrician who is a certified lactation consultant or is very knowledgeable on breast fed babies. Breast feeding isn't taught in med school.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with ecodani - I was surprised to learn with my first that the typical growth chart is based on formula feeding, and often doesn't "work" with breastfed babies. I don't know anything about the cortisol levels, but I would take whatever information your doc gives you to a lactation consultant and have them look it over.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Thanks for your repllies. I love my pediatrition I think hes wonderful and he is talking to a specialist that is a couple hours away to see what he thinks as for the growth charts I didnt know they base it off formula feed babies, thats good to know. According to that chart she is 50% for height and over %100 for weight. I live in a fairly small town so we don't have alot of specialist here. we do have lactation consultants but they don't really know a whole lot just basics. My son was a big boy and she's way bigger then he ever was, My husband is 6' 2 and 170 pounds I'm 5"3 and 125 pounds, so we don't have a large family. I guess i will wait for the other blood test and go from there
    proudmom20000

Answer by proudmom20000 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2010