How can I get my kids more interested in reading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Read TO them. As you read tell them to close their eyes and imagine being there. I always tell them reading is so much fun.."you can take an adventure in your mind" Another rule in our house is no video games until they already know how to read. With my boys I made video game time and SSR time interlinked. If they spent an hour reading thjey got 50% of that much time on the Playstation. No reading, no games. You have to find what that thing is for your child(ren). From your question I'm assuming they all know how to read , just choose not to.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Some times it just takes the right book.

For my son it was Captain Underpants in first grade. The story line was soooo stupid, but he would giggle and giggle and giggle.

For my oldest daughter it was Ann Frank's diary in about 4th grade. Now she is in 9th grade and ALWAYS has a book with her.

My youngest daughter is in 2nd grade and likes Cam Jansen... it hasnt clicked yet... but she will at least read alone.
    Anonymous

• We had a rule that you were exempt from chores or helping out if you were reading. My mom had tons of quiet time while we were all silently reading.

Does your library have a book club group for kids?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Have family reading time for 1/2 hour before bed. Everyone reads (books, magazines, whatever). The last five minutes, everyone give a one minute synopsis of what they read.

What really helped my daughter (helped her writing, but it may help your kids get more interested in reading) was posting book reviews on Amazon.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Go to the library, let them pick out a book that they want to read or what read to them.

Spend time as a family reading. If you and dad like to read, it encourages children to read. Especially if they like to follow one of your leads. My kids love to do as their dad does so if I want them to do something I have daddy doing it too.

Good luck.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Do you like to read? Do you read to them? Let them see you enjoying reading, and also pick an exciting story and every night read to them. Also severely limit computer, t.v., movies, etc.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Read TO them and WITH them. Let them pick out their books. Read for atleast 20 minutes a day, 30 is better. Turn off the tv and everyone reads. You can read a classic to the whole family, asking questions as you go. For age/level appropriate books and ideas on getting kids to read go to www.readkiddoread.com

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• First buy books that they're interested in, each child is different so a child into one genre may not be the same as the other the same age that's into another. You have your own book you read at the same time they're sitting back reading in the same room. My children and I do our own reading group where we read every night for an hour then at the end of the hour we explain what's going on in our own books one at a time, ask and answer questions pertaining to what we're reading. Also, do not have the television on so much, maybe even cut out cable or cut down the channels you have. My children enjoy reading and do more than the hour I require them, but most of it I think is because both my husband and I are always reading something and we didn't even invest in cable t.v. until a year ago in which we primarily use to watch a movie one night a week together.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• do YOU read? I'd suggest having a quiet reading time. everyone grab a book, and snuggle down on the couch for reading time.

my oldest loves to read, she's reading my Anne of Green Gables books right now (she's 8.5)

my middle is just learning to read but loves books too, and so does the youngest.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We have always given our kids books as gifts so that they know books are special. I have always taken my kids to the library to story time. We also have book time before bed, well, most nights. My daughter loves to write and she always made books with construction paper and staples. Its so cute some of the things she writes in them when she was 5. And she mispells elaborate words....lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010