Teacher taped the kids mouth shut...

Just wondering what you guys think. In our town a teacher constantly told a child to be quiet. She is a very nice teacher with no other complaints. After telling the child a few times to be quiet she told him if he continued to talk she was going to get her tape out. Their was an aid in the room and the teacher was nice the whole time (not angry or yelling) but told him she would tape his mouth if he said another word. When he continued to talk the teacher got out scotch tape and taped his mouth with 2 pieces in an X shape. Do you think she acted innappropriately? The child is 7yrs old in 2nd grade.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OMG are you kidding me? She NICELY TAPED HIS MOUTH SHUT? That's child abuse!
    Anonymous

• I think by seven the kid should understand consequences. He continued to talk after he was told not to. Would I do that to a kid, nope, but is it the end of the world NO.
    Anonymous

• No, Im not sure if I would be mad or not if it happened to my child. Maybe the parents should teach the kid respect, hes old enough to understand. Do you know if she got in trouble?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Inappropriate indeed. I would be peeved if that happened to my child.
    Anonymous

• While she didn't hurt him, it's inappropriate. I would think a teacher would know a better way to handle a child who didn't stop talking. If she can't then it doesn't matter if she is nice or not. I'd hate to see what she'd do in a situation where a child really misbehaves.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• OMG
    TOTALLY inapropriate!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If our society allowed it. Yes, I think it would darn well be appropriate. That kid is disrupting the teaching of all the other kids and HE KNOWS IT. Where are the parents teaching him to shut up? But I can see this as a lawsuit waiting to happen. Poor teacher. I'd applaud her if I thought she wouldn't get her butt sued.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think I'd be annoyed. There are other consequences including sending the child to the principals office she could have used.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The parents called the news crew in. The teacer got a slap on the wrist pretty much. The student was moved to another classroom at the parents request. I say she was nice because she wasnt angry or acting out of anger. She just told the student if you dont hush I really am going to have to tape that mouth shut. (from what I've heard it was almost in a teasing manner) like she was trying to get her point across without yelling at him. When he continued on she followed thru and put two pieces crisscrossed on his lips. A few minutes later she askedif he was going to be quiet and she let him take them off.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Very inappropriate. I don't care how "nice" it was done, it was uncalled for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010