Racial question~

If you knew someone who had been continually harrased, raped, physically assaulted, & verbally threatened by another race when simply minding her own business, walking down the street.. and she told you she wanted to move to a neighborhood where none of this particular race lived...would you blame her? Consider her ignorant for simply wanting to feel safe? This person is me...I lost a friend, they want nothing to do with me anymore because they think I am an ignorant racist.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I dont think that makes you a racist...I think it makes you human. If I was attacked by birds daily and harassed daily by them, I would dislike birds....and so on and so forth.

I am sorry this has happened to you ;(
    Anonymous

• sorry to hear about your situation
    there are ignorant people of all races
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I have been raped and gang raped by black men, I will admit I am terrified to be around them. That doesnt make you racist that makes you a victim of a horrible thing , noone can make you look past it. My best friend is black he has been my friend since 10th grade. My husbands best friend is balck and has been his best friend since jr high. Those are the only 2 I can be around and even then I dont like to be alone with them. So no I wouldnt blame anyone if that is how they felt because of things that happened to them.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• OP here...thanks girls, I feel better already..I like the bird analogy, thanks for making me laugh :)
    Anonymous

• Wanting to feel safe does not make you a racist but please don't think that all neighborhoods of a different race are crime free. It's about the people in the neighborhood, not their race. I hope you find a place you feel safe. Everyone deserves peace of mind in their own neighborhood. If you lost a friend over this then perhaps that friend wasn't really a friend after all

Answer by admckenzie at 2:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• IMO, being afraid of only BLACK men is a good way to be victimized again -- you need to realize that all men are capable of doing those things. It has nothing to do with race. I understand where you are coming from but you need to focus more on how someone behaves toward you or how they approach you and not just what color their skin is.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2010