Do you think you spend as much as a food stamp recipient on groceries?

In my state a family of four would receive $668
anyway I think we as a family of 4 (but one is bf so he doesn't cost much really) we spend about $400 monthly.
Here's a link with more info http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=30357

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• No we dont.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No I can't. We just don't have the money to buy much food. We won't take PA in any form and there's no sense in complaining about it. At least we have our self respect.
    Anonymous

• I spend about $175-$200 per week for 2 kids and 2 adults, so yeah.
    Anonymous

• We wouldn't. But last year when we were on them, I knew it was temporary and I stocked up on non-perishables. I still used coupons and store ads too!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We spend like half of what we did when we were on food stamps 2 and 1/2 years ago. We shop frugally, ie coupons, sales, off brands....we didn't really when we were on food stamps
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 3:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No.
    Anonymous

• Not that much; but not too cheap either.

IDK where you live; but it's next to impossible for me to leave the store feeding 4 of us for less than $100/week; and that's PB&J's for lunch for the kids; and me only eating dinner; and DH only eating lunch & dinner.
    Anonymous

• I know I spend less. I kept track: $400 for the past 6 weeks (think holiday meals & baking included in that) for 7 people. $688 for 4 people? I don't know what I'd buy with all that. We eat healthy meals and don't go hungry.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Average family here gets about what your state does and we spend 500 a month we have 2 children and eat a very healthy and nutritious diet. We make mid 6 figures and could spend more but we don't need to we get what we need and don't buy crap food. I think many on food stamps tend to buy more processed foods and that is taken into account. I personally think a nutrition class that teaches how to prepare actual healthy foods would be wise for people. We could cut what we give people them and save some money. Some people think Kraft Mac and Cheese, tater tots and hot dogs are healthy other things pork chops smothered in soup with frozen veggies with velvetta is a healthy meal.

Lean meats in 4 oz portions for adults smaller for children, veggies, whole grains and beans are not that much and are more healthy.
    Anonymous

• It seems not. We spend $60-80 a week for three

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2010