Any suggestions on a 4 yr old whining and crying over every little thing?

My 4yr old DD whines and cries about EVERYTHING and it's to the point where I can't take it anymore. She cries and whines if I tell her NO, if she's playing with a toy and the toy doesn't do what she wants it to then I'll hear her in her room getting mad and crying, if I tell her it's bedtime, when I turn her tv off at bedtime or if she wakes up in the middle of the night I'll hear her whining and crying bc her tv is off......She cries over every little thing and over stupid stuff.
I don't know what to do. I've tried being nice about it, I've tried using a stern voice and telling her to stop crying, I've tried taking her favorite things away, but all the stuff I do seems to make it worse!
Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Seriously, I would crack down. Send the message that enough is enough and get to her level, look her in the eye, grab her arm and explain to her that when the TV is turned off it's not the end of the world, you're not turning it on again and you'd appreciate no whining or she'll never watch television again. If you have to scream at her one time to send the message do it. I hate to say it but sometimes they need to see that you are really mad and when pushed you are a person they don't want to see. JMO. I know, let the bashing fly.
    Anonymous

• No bashing plz,way to much drama.Who is a perfect parent? and little people do get challenging at times.I just always tried to pick my battles.If you do pick one make sure that you win it.Diversion is a very great tool if used in the right places.You are human and never forget how fast the time goes by!
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 3:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• IGNORE the whining and crying. Explain that she needs to use her big girl words or she doesn't get what she wants. If she whines, then do NOT respond. You can give her a reminder that she needs to use her words. I have NEVER responded to whining by any child. There is no reason a child needs to whine and no reason to give in to it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I also ignore, usually I'll say something like "I can't hear you when you're whining like that". Sometimes I tell her that she needs to go to her room until she can speak normally again. I almost never hear the whining anymore. Hope this helps.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 7:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010