At what age did you child start writing his or her own name?

My son will be 5 in April and is not writing at all. I have tried working with him on it, but he has no interest in fine motor skills. He just wants to run and play. He is smart in many other ways. Most of the other kids in his preschool class can write their own names or are very close to it. I am worried he is behind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One of my three year olds (well almost 4) can write her name. My other one can write the letters of her name, but has trouble getting them in the right order (her name is long though, so I think that might be why). They have been doing it for about 3 or 4 months now.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• he was late 4...but he would never do it for me until he had it down pat! I would sit with him and try to get him to do it and he didnt care for it and at pre school they taught him and he came home one day and showed me and i was so proud of him and he has been writting his name and other letters on stuff ever since
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• All 3 of mine were writing theirs by the time they were 4 - they learned in preschool. I would set up a "school time" at the kitchen table where he does a certain amount of practice with letters, maybe a preK workbook you can buy at a bookstore and let him see how much he has to do (2-3 pages?) then reward him with some free time to go out and play. When mine went to kindergarten they were expected to be able to write their names.

Answer by missanc at 5:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Instead of just doing pen and paper, find some fun ways to write his name. When I taught preK I would write their name with a black marker (make lots of copies of it) and we would decorate the letters with all kinds of things (pasta, glitter, cereal, stickers) just to get a feel for the shape of them. Another favorite was to trace them by painting them with water colors. Try to make it fun, especially if he doesn't seem interested. After paint, go to tracing with markers, crayons...then after awhile ask him to try to paint it, draw his name with markers by himself right below the one he just traced. He will start doing it eventually by himself, it will come. try not to make it seem like learning to write is a chore. Keep it fun.
    Anonymous

• Let him "write" his name in pudding, paint, shaving cream using his finger. Make it fun. I teach 3-5 year olds and have 3 year olds that can write their names and some of the 5 year olds can't. Not a big deal, they have until they go to Kindergarten to learn.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son is 4 years, 4 months and he can pretty much write his own name now. Sometimes he misses a letter or two and it's not neat but it's clear what he's writing. His preschool requires all the kids in the 4 year old class write their own name on their work. At the start of the year he was just writing his initials but once he started doing that the rest of the letters fell right in to place.

Have you talked to his teachers about learning? Do they teach them or require them to write their names at all in class? I would encourage you to push it a bit because he's going to be expected to do it in kindergarten. Does he have a favorite character? My guy loves Spiderman so I picked up a couple of printing practice books with a Spiderman theme. Learning to write 'spiderman' is way more exciting than writing 'cat' and 'ball' ;-)
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Mine were 3 and a half, close to 4 when they were writing their names. It might be that he has problem with fine motor skills, which isn't that uncommon. Give him some sidewalk chalk and let him write outside, or let him write his name in sand or rice.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2010