I have to set my alarm (2 hours from time feeding finishes) so that i can feed my newborn because all he does is sleep. At what point or age, can i just let him sleep longer and go without feedings at night?

I know he needs it now, and needs to eat and gain weight, but when wouldn't it hurt to let him sleep longer if he dosent wake up to feed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was 7 pounds 10 oz at birth, and 7 pounds 0 oz when we went home the next day. She slept 6 hours at night the first week and I never woke her to eat. At about 3 weeks she was back up to birth weight [doc said it can take a month when you're EBF] and she's right on track now at 4 months. Babies know when they're hungry. But honestly, you do what feels right to you. No one knows your baby like you do, and no one knows how long you can function on two hours of sleep at a time but you. Every baby and mom are different.
    shepard.lilley

Answer by shepard.lilley at 5:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Some women will tell you now. I don't know as my daughter needed to nurse every 2 hours and never slept through a feeding---she'd fall asleep during feedings though . . ggrrrr . . . . lol . . that's another story though. I think you can let it go as long as 4 hours and then wake him for a feeding. Two hours may be too soon if he needs the rest. How old is he exactly?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Personally, I never woke my kids up when they where babies to feed them. They always woke up on there own when they needed changed or where hungry.

Answer by louise2 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I never woke my kids. I think it's a load of bull. Your baby will tell you when he's hungry. I think babies need more sleep than anything as that's when they do the most growing.
    Anonymous

• I never woke my son up to feed him. If he was hungry, he'd let me know. The day we brought him home from the hospital, he slept for like 6 hours straight that afternoon, and I did the same thing! The only downside to that was that I was still attempting to nurse at that point and hadn't bought a pump yet so if I let him sleep too long, I'd get engorged and would be really uncomfortable.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• After the first week I stopped waking my kids up at night to feed them. For the first week I was working on establishing my supply of breastmilk, since I had a problem with it in the hospital. I always woke them up during the day to feed, and then let them sleep as long as they would at night - it helped them separate day and night pretty early on. Also, I never let them fall asleep during a feeding - I made sure they got a FULL feeding each time (at least 20 mins/breast in the first few weeks) - I had to undress them, change their diaper, wipe their face with a washcloth, etc, anything to make sure they filled their tummies so they would be able to go 3 hours until the next feeding.
    I did 3 hours between feedings instead of 2, and with a full tummy they were able to do that easily.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i wouldnt wake them...especially at night. Just give them a time limit. Dont let them go over 6 hours WITHOUT being fed.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• ...in other words if they sleep more than 6 hours then wake them but i would never wake em every 2..sounds crazy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I wouldnt worry about it. Your baby will tell you when he/she is hungry. Some days they just want to sleep. They are just like us. They have their blah days just like us! But my own personal experience, i wouldnt let them sleep too much duriing the day because the more that they eat during the day the more they sleep through the night. Thats what happened with me but every baby is different
    LilMamaC08

Answer by LilMamaC08 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No need to wake. Just feed on demand and count dipes. Turn off that alarm clock, mom!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2010