Do schools kill creativity?

What do you girls think of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That was the best speech I have ever heard and it is completely and utterly true in all ways.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 4:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I couldn't view the video but I do think they kill creativity in children who have parents that don't care. My son is in public schools but he has two parents that allow him to have a creative outlet and fight for him at school. Kids that have parents who don't care, ignore them and couldn't care less about their education are who get harmed. So sad.
    Anonymous

• Well, I will say this. I am a teacher. I feel that you have to teach a person certain basic concepts. When does a person not need to know 100% of the time the alphabet, or how to count, do basic math, understand something about science or social studies? Einstein had a formal education, so did Micheal Angelo, Shakespeare, the men who designed the Mercury rocket (and Gemini, and the Saturn V), Bill Gates had a formal education, so did Steven Spielberg. Learning how to read, do math, and the rest of the available subjects does not stifle your creativity. It is the lack of encouragement from home, usually, that does. Being told you are waisting your time, drawing is stupid, why are you writing short stories/poems, go learn how to do something that is productive, yet parents blame the schools. Same old debate, same old finger pointing.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Actually, it is not the teaching of the basics that stifles creativity, it is HOW they are taught. Are the activities and ideas used to teach the subject adapted to the children's developmental needs? Are the subjects compartmentalized away from each other or woven together? Intelligence is, after all, the ability to MAKE CONNECTIONS. So, bringing in the connections between math and history and art furthers intelligence as well as creativity.

Obviously this is a wide topic. And I have never found any aspect of life more important than the cultivation of the mind & personality of every child. For me, the principles of Waldorf education and parenting, the insight into child development offered by the Waldorf movement have been fruitful and encouraging. ... check it out.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Schools don't educate sadly they teach kids to recite info for a test. The public schools have not realized every kid is different and one size fits all schooling does not work. The schools anymore are primarily liberal indoctrination grounds that teach children white guilt, low self esteem and that they are worthless without Gov intervention. So glad my kids are in private school.
    Anonymous

• I don't want jesse123456 to take this wrong; because I do appreciate individual teachers. I recognize they have a difficult; oftentimes thankless job that they are not compensated enough for doing.

However ... I feel the system the teachers are a part of is broken. Too many students per teacher; which in turn means less one on one time for each student; which means what? More cookie cutter; fit all the children into the same mold/box; type of teaching. I don't think teachers intend to stifle the kids they teach; most I believe are teaching for the express purpose of opening young minds.

cont'd
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• cont'd

But when they have to keep 28-30 kids in line and make sure they learn it; they don't have time to tell it to Timmy this way & Sally that way & show Bobby a 3rd way. No they say it & the kid has to 'get it' - I remember that from my own childhood...ask a ? & the teacher repeats themselves verbatim; umm ok I didn't understand the first time you said it; saying the exact same words isn't helping the 2nd time either; etc.

I actually had to transfer out of my Aleg II class; because the teacher handed back a test (10th grade mind you) and said if you didn't get a B or higher on this test don't bother applying to college you won't make it. EXCUSE ME? I packed my stuff up; sat there with my arms crossed the rest of the class; when the bell rang I went right to a payphone and called my mom and told her to transfer me; I could not learn from someone like that.

There are good & bad teachers; but the system itself ...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Obviously this is a wide topic. And I have never found any aspect of life more important than the cultivation of the mind & personality of every child. For me, the principles of Waldorf education and parenting, the insight into child development offered by the Waldorf movement have been fruitful and encouraging. ... check it out.

OMG - I just assumed your sn had something to do with your real name or life; haha - I'll have to check this out; is this anything like Montessori ideas?
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No one has to use public education. There are many private schools that offer different approaches to learning. Waldorf and Montessori come to mind. There are also many religious based schools as well as the homeschool option. Lid for every pot, so to speak......
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2010