Constipation

my toddler is constipated and doc says prune juice is what really works best well i think hes an idiot shes been on prune juice for a month, so tell me moms what home cures do you have for me? Mothers know best!!!!!!
ps. doc will be changed, so dont tell me to change doctors. haha.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well in our house prune juice works. Try pear juice too and warm baths.
    Anonymous

• I would delve into what your child is consuming. The main constipators in children are dairy, meat and bananas; these are followed closely by foods made from white flour (like bread and pasta), and processed sugars, like high fructose corn syrup.

You child should be drinking water, eating fruits and vegetables, eating whole grains and eating legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I added Fiber to my sons diet.. my son has had this issue since birth and no juices ever worked for him, I use a probiotic called Culturelle for kids, then miralax - which is VERY safe and a non-stimulant so its not a laxative. I also saw a dietician about how bad he gets.. we increased his fiber to 5grams per day - I found it in oatmeal, wheat toast, peanut butter, fiber one brand muffins or cereal with fiber in it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Miralax is NOT safe....do the research. Even the manufacturer does not reccomend it for children under 18. but docs do? go figure
    Anonymous

• Have your child drink more water then usual. It helps my son. Make sure they are getting a lot of fiber. Hold the milk, chesse fow a few days. The more vegetables the better. My 2 year old will eat a spinach salad. He does occasionally get constipated. Try blueberries, it has helped us
    Deesma21

Answer by Deesma21 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• question: did the doctor say it was constipation or stool withholding? The "old" doctor ( i left that one after this) said my 2 year old was withholding even after I explained that his stool whas always been orn the harder side and even at 10 months old he would go every 2 days (genius, a 10 month old cannot stool withhold for behavior issues)
    Deesma21

Answer by Deesma21 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2010