Is it better to cut out ALL meat in a diet, or just red meat?

Can chicken and fish have a place in a healthy diet? I am looking at becoming partially vegetarian, but I do not know if I should take out all meats all together or just beef and pork.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• we're veggies. you actually get MORE absorbable protein without the fat & cholesterol from legumes& whole grains than you do from meat- your body is able to more readily process and assimilate it. the vegetarian diet does NOT require the addition of any excess protein sources.

we do occasionally eat fish, and enjoy it. other than that- we're meat, processed food & dairy free.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You need to do what works for you. If you eat a plant based diet, with lots of whole grains and legumes, you will get much more protein than you need.

I initially stopped eating meat when I was a senior in high school. I was doing a report on work hunger, and learned how meat is an incredibly inefficient delivery system for nutrition. Now, I also know that meat production is bad for the planet and bad for our health.
    Being vegetarian not about what I don't eat, it is about what I do eat. When asked how I get nutrition by not eating meat, I respond by asking how meat eaters get nutrition by eating meat. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is overloaded with protein, fat, sodium, etc.; and is "underloaded" with whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• By the time I eat my recommended 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables (in at least 3 different colors), 6 servings of whole grains and two servings of legumes, and one serving of chocolate, I could not possibly make room for meat.
    I belong to a yahoogroup for parents of vegetarians; I would be happy to send you an invitation.
    There are lots of great vegetarian cookbooks at your local library; I would start with Pretend Soup, it is a kids cookbook from the Moosewood people.

Feel free to contact me offlist with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I stopped red meat *sob* recently and have noticed a huge change.

I still eat a lot of chicken and fish, legumes, beans etc...to get the appropriate proteins and stuff.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You can do away with red meat, if you really like it have it as a treat, on your birthday, anniversary, valentines day. Chicken, turkey and fish are best.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• rkoloms What is an example of your days menu?
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:29 AM on Jan. 8, 2010