hate to waste all of this food..

I had two nasty mice in my house ..came home to find they had been all through my kitchen after christmas vacation..put out traps and caught both of them within 12 hours..its been about 5 days now and I think im all in the clear but im not sure how long u have to wait..but ive begun cleaning my kitchen up and im a bit of a germphobe so im having a hard time even going in there..but they were in my pantry and ive thrown away all of the food that i could see they chewed into, including boxes they chewed into..now my question is do I need to throw it ALL away..Im feeling like I should because I know they were crawling all over it with their nasty diseased selves and I dont want my family to get any diseases or viruses from stuff they crawled on..but I hate with was all of our food..its over $200 worth of food in there

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• whatever they did not get into should be fine- as long as the package was sealed its good to go.

the rule with mice is this, where you see 1 there are 10 more in hiding. keep your traps out.

keep anything in the pantry in GLASS containers (cereal, pasta, sugar, etc) once it has been opened. they chew through plastic.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes. I would go with throwing it out. They poop wherever they go, and their poop carries disease easily passed onto humans.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I would be throwing it all out. Just the germs and gasses from their poop alone could contaminate the food. I wouldn't feel good about eating anything that's been around them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I would think you probably ate a lot of those things before you realized you had a problem...
    Anonymous

• Keep the traps out, for starters. There's a chance you have more, and if they got in somewhere, there's a hole for more to come in. I'd toss everything that you can see they got into, but keep anything that it's obvious they didn't. I got lucky when we had a mouse or 2 in our house a couple times, they found enough non-food that they thought was food in the basement that they (thank God!) never made it into any actual food. When you're 200% positive you dno't have anymore mice, get some mothballs or mothblocks, and place them around your foundation - on the inside, at ground level, whether that means main floor or basement in the rafters - they hate the smell so it repels them - it works!
    Anonymous

• Keep the traps out, there will be more mice. I would only throw out the food if the mice got into it. Otherwise, you can wash off the tops of the cans and bottles before opening and using them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'd toss it all. its better to start fresh than to worry.

keep the traps out and invest in some good quality glass containers.

find where they came in and eliminate that hole! go around the entire perimeter of your house and seal every little nook and cranny. the hole can be as small as a dime or pencil - squichy little buggers.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Ohhhhh let me tell my story....We though we had a mouse. Saw the poop and found evidence. So we put out glue traps. The next day hubby looks at it and its NOT a mouse. It was a mole!!! Still gross. They we're eating the dog food. So they didn't make it to our food.

We're keeping the traps out just in case but We think we found our problem.
    Anonymous