ok when bring a baby home from the hospital?

when you bring the baby ome for the first time do you need to bring the base to the carseat to the room so the nurse can see you have it or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When I brought my kids home a nurse walked us to the car, and made sure the seat was in correctly. Ask the hospital what their policy is.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i didn't. My mom and so just brought in the carrier part. The nurse helped me out to the car..because i had a c-section and by the time i left, i was friends with the nurses.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• At my hospital a nurse takes the mom to her car in a wheelchair, no exceptions. So I just held the baby and my dh carried all of the stuff. The nurse did verify we had a carseat and that it was installed properly. I would not carry that thing around unless it is necessary, it is awkward to carry.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We are the same at Nathskitten - a nurse takes new moms to the car in a wheelchair. They have a security guard out there to make sure the carseat is installed safely.

Answer by missanc at 4:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We did not. We just needed the car seat. Where I am we walk out on our own. So as long as you have a carseat they are happy.
    Anonymous

• With my son (2008) we were wheeled down with DS in my arms. The transporation lady (who wheeled my wheel chair) left me at the curb and my husband and I loaded Ds into the carseat. When DD was born (2009) the nurse said that we had to bring the carseat up to the room so that they could see we had one in good shape. As well that we had one at all.

Call your Mom and Baby ward at the hospital you're going to deliver at and ask their regulations on carseats.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• no. we installed the seat before our son was born and it was a very hard thing to do so we didn't take it out until it was time to get a new car seat!! so i would certainly hope that no hospital would require that because the darn bases are so hard to get in!
    Anonymous

• At our hospital they have 2 nurse's aids who are also licensed car seat techs. They always have one of them working when there's a new mom scheduled to go home. They have the dad pull up to the door (or whoever is bringing mom & baby home) and they get in the car to make sure the base/seat is installed properly, then they watch you put the seat in & baby in and make sure baby's strapped in correctly. But they like to see the base installed already to make sure you know what you're doing.
    Anonymous

• The base can be left in the car, just the carseat goes up w/ you for the baby to be strapped into that part.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 5:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Not that base, and if you have a convertible instead, they just look at it. We didn't use an infant seat, and that was fine with them.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2010