How long did it take your baby to adjust to the sippy cup?

I gave my 15-month-old daughter every chance to switch to a sippy cup on her own. I made the darn thing look so tempting and exciting I even wanted one! She is a strong willed little Boo Boo, though, and I finally had to get rid of all the bottles over the weekend and replaced them with sippy cups. The first two days went pretty well, but now she is mad a hell that I won't give her a "ba ba." For those of you that had to finally just take the bottle away, how long did it take for your child to like the sippy?

lvpenguino

Asked by lvpenguino at 4:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started my son on a sippy at 6 months so he didn't really notice a transition. But like anything else (paci, switching to a big bed, etc) I would say it will take 2-5 days of consistency to know that you won't give in.

Answer by missanc at 4:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I just switched my son. The problem is that his two month old sister is now using his old bottles, because she graduated to drinking more oz's. He was doing perfectly fine the first two days, then when I switched his sister to his bottles he tried to regress. He didn't want to take a nap or go to sleep with his sippy, he wanted his bottle. (He's 17mo) Everytime I turned out the light he'd jump up and start crying. However, I'm still working on him. This will be day three .. or is it four .. with him only getting a sippy. Today he took a nap just fine with a sippy, but we will see how tonight goes.

It can take anywhere from a couple days to a week for a child to really accept that there's no more bottles.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We started our transition early like the first poster. We did it at 6 mos. I wasn't going to go through the hell that we went through taking the paci away at 5 mos. It was a week of hell for us and night was the worse. So we started the transition early and bottles were gone by mos and then only straw sippys by 11 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• by 8 mos
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My 1st DD took herself off the bottle when I gave her her first suck cup and never turned back.. My 2nd DD on the other hand just turned 18mths old and wont give the bottle up.. She will drink out of a cup a little, but doesnt really like them.. Try different ones, it took a while to get 1st DD off the soft spout ones onto the hard spout ones... the Nuk ones are good for transitioning... IMO Hoep this helps a little
    Anonymous