Where do you live & how much do you spend / mo. on groceries?

I'm on the Gulf Coast of FL and it takes everything I have (coupons/store brands/sales) to feed a family of 4 for $400/mo - approx $100/wk that's just in food for us people; not other items from the store.

Where do you live? How much do you spend? And if it's less than this; PLEASE tell me how!??

My DH is the pickiest eater I have ever met in my entire life; but the kids and I eat to survive and that's all so I make DH either eat w/ us or make himself a sandwhich or frozen pizza (4/$5).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Las Vegas and it really depends on the check and bills.
    A few times we have fed my husband and I on 40 dollars for 2 weeks.
    We ate alot of chicken and pasta.
    Now though after the raise we can spend a lot more on food.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• we spend around 40-60 a week fpr a family of 4 and that is not just dinners it also has to get dog food, toilet paper, trash bags, dish and laundry soap whatever I need for the week. We don't spend that by choice, but DH is getting garnished so we are tight right now it is called we eat lots of pasta not by choice, but ti feed my kids
    Anonymous

• I live in NC and there are 6 of us in the family, plus I'm usually feeding one extra person for supper (my special needs son has a one on one worker) and I spend total probably $100/week in food, plus we usually eat out one night. I don't really use coupons, although I should but I shop the grocery specials and stock up on sales (I still have 2 frozen turkeys in my inlaws freezer I bought when they were approx. $6/turkey). We also belong to a warehouse club (BJs) where we buy in bulk which helps since we have a larger family.

Answer by missanc at 4:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• OP here

Anon #1 (4:30) - HOW do you feed 4 people; animals; toiletries etc for $60/wk?? Pasta? What just butter and noodles? I'm not trying to be snarky really I'm not I'm just flabbergasted; that's completely inconceivable to me!

Anonymous

• I live in Iowa and spend about 400-500 a month. There are 4 of us. We eat only at home and our meals are nutrition packed we don't buy chips, cookies and other crap. I shop at a store called Fairway they always have the best quality meat for the best prices. I will fill up my cart and not spend 70 bucks. We are not picky so that leaves us open for so many eating options. My kids had chips at my moms and spit them out too salty.lol
    Anonymous

• I live in upstate NY. Food for usplus tolitries we spend about 90 bucks a week. That includes all of our meals,snacks, sweet stuff and all that jazz. We shop at the commissary it helps save money. No taxes and they usually have ok deals. I also plan out meals. When I didnt we ended up spending like 120 every week and wasting food. There is 3 of us.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My husband and I buy food that will last us at least two weeks. We live in Central Michigan.
    We shop at Walmart or Save-A-Lot. Keep that in mind. Shopping at the cheaper stores will save you a lot of money. Like Kroger, Save-A-Lot, Walmart, etc. My husband and I spend 150-200 dollars on groceries, again that will last us two weeks sometimes longer.

PM me if you would like some tips on how to save money on groceries. I know you do coupons, but sometimes even with coupons you're not getting the best deal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I live in the Bay Area of California and spend about $60 per week for a family of 3. Sometimes I'll spend $75 when we seem to be out of everything like spices and condiments. We usually go out to dinner 1 night per week.

I can't answer your question as to how I spend less then $100 per week. I don't budget for that amount; It's simply what the cash register rings up when we are done. We eat a high veggie diet but aren't vegetarians. I buy organic for the soft skin items. We don't eat a lot of processed food and other then lunchtime snacks and marshmallows for my son, we don't buy sweets or chips.
    Anonymous

• $60/wk in CA!?!?!?!  I'm definitely doing something wrong!!!

Anonymous

• I live in Northern Michigan and I spend $250 a month or less for groceries for 4 adults & 3 tweens. For the past 6 (going on 7 weeks) we've spent $400 but that included everything needed for holiday meals & baking. We eat healthy meals and don't go hungry. How do I do it?

Shop discount stores like Aldi, Save A Lot, Dollar General. Shop the grocery stores ONLY for the loss leaders, stocking up when they're great deals. Plan meals a week or two in advance around what's in the pantry and freezers and stick to that list! Cook and bake mostly from scratch, eliminating prepackaged and convenience foods. Buy milk on sale and freeze it.

Here's where I have an advantage: I grow a HUGE garden every year and preserve it by canning or freezing. We also raise our own poultry for the freezer, their feed costs come out of our food budget. We purchase grass fed beef by the 1/2 for anywhere from $1.69 to $2.29 a lb.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2010