Complicated question - need ANY ideas

My DH, our toddler and I live w/ my parents. Both my family and my parents want to relocate soon to another state. My DH and I are helping my parents get their house ready to sell, so they will be able to move and also so they will help us w/ a downpayment on a home of our own. But here is our problem - my parents' home is unsellable w/ us living in the basement (we have a lot of stuff and the whole basement needs renovating), but the money isn't available for us to live somewhere else while we work on it. My parents WANT to empty the house and move while it is on the market, but the money isn't available to move w/out selling first! Its a catch-22 that I feel is my responsibility to solve since w/out us there, it would be easier for my parents. But they keep telling us they want to help us and need us to help THEM get the house ready. So, I'm wondering if there are any fresh perspectives on this that I (cont'd)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OP- that I might not be considering or seeing. We basically need a way for my DH and I to be able to help w/out being in the way of the renovations. We have no other family to stay with in the area while we work on it, and we just don't have the money to rent a place for a couple months while the work is being done. Advice?
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure where u live. But what about a travel trailer if its only going to take a month or two. It will be crowded but if you are only sleeping in it and hanging/working in the house during the day then it would work. IF its not to cold where you are.

You could put the stuff you don't really need day to day in storage for the time being.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• What about buying your parents house?
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 4:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Do like the stagers do on TV, get rid of anything personal, and put it in storage. Get all your things down to what you have to have, and put all the rest in the storage. Even if the basement needs to be worked on, with you living down there shows it's a livable space, which could be a plus!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yep I was going to say to buy your folks house too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• OP - we don't want to buy my parents' house - we want to move out of state (for many reasons). Plus its way too big for us, and worth about three times as much as our budget allows. But thanks for all the suggestions!
    Anonymous