Anyone garden and have a dog?

Didn't have a garden last year because I was due with our second son and thought it would be too much work. So, this will be the first year I have a garden with our dog. He's a german shorthair and eats everything. Has anyone had a problem with a veggie garden and their dog? We've got a small backyard, so no way to separate them unless I lock the dog up on the side (very small) yard while we are gone (which I don't want to do). I was thinking of doing the hanging tomatoes and strawberries... but what about green beans and peas? Will he dig them up? Eat them? I have lettuce out there now and he hasn't touched it... Am I worrying for nothing? lol...

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 4:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I do a garden every summer and the only problem I've had with our dog is her running through the garden and squashing plants. I was able to solve the problem by putting up a small chicken wire fence around it. She could still get in if she wanted to, but she doesn't. I think it was more of a problem with her not understanding that we were growing the plants, and she couldn't distinguish between the garden and the regular landscaping.

The only year I had trouble with digging was the year I used the fish emulsion fertilizer. It's a really good organic fertilizer but it's pretty gross, lol.

GL

Anonymous

• I had my first garden last year, I have 2 labs and every time I turned my back they were trying to eat whatever was growing. I ended up going to home depot and buying a few rolls of really cheap fencing and that helped alot. As for all my beautiful tomatoes, well at least the dogs got to eat them !
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 8:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It really depends on your dog. I think, like the othe person commented, the biggest problem would be the dog not distinguishing one area from another. I made a fence around my garden area to keep out other pests since we live in the country and I was able to do it for little to no money just some elbow grease. We have a very large FREECYCLE here in OKC and I posted that I was looking for peoples old wooden fence panels that were in decent shape besides rotten bottoms. I cut off a couple feet off the bottom of the fence panels and was left with perfectly good shorter fence panels perfect for a garden. Then I painted them white and created a pretty and nearly free fence for around my garden which now keeps out the critters and looks nice as well.
    best wishes, I actually didn't have a garden last year because I had a new born. Now he'll one and a half in summer so I am having a garden again this year.
    aimhighschool

Answer by aimhighschool at 10:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We have a large fruit & veggie garden every year and we also have two lab-mixes that like to romp around, but they don't really bother with our gardens much; mostly, I think, because they've been taught not to go in those areas. We do have a rabbit fence around our main backyard garden, even when the fence is down, they don't go in unless invited. Our frontyard beds are not fenced & that's where I grow most of our herbs & lettuces, plus one tomato plant for everyday use (as in, not for making sauce) and the dogs do love tomatoes and will frequently help themselves to a few, but I don't mind if they grab the occasional snack off my tomato plants 'cause they think they're tennis balls they can eat and it's fun to watch them play with them. They don't bother any of the other front beds, except to sniff & they will ask when they want some basil (yeah, they love basil, too..lol).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• lol I love this post, I had the same question!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2010