Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what can i do to see my kids

ok here a short verison to my life. i got married an had three kids our relationship was always rocky and after zander was born things got even worse i finally told him i wanted a divorce an i wanted the kids with me. well that lead him to freak out an start hitting me and abusing me i got of the house as soon as posible he wouldnt let the kids out of his site ... an yes people asked why i didnt call the cops ,.. i was really scared of everything that was happening . so now 2 years later alot more grown up i was told i get to see my kids every other weekend. i still dont have a big enuff place to keep them longer then that... finding a better job well even A job is hard right now. so i agreed to the everyother weekend . but if i piss him off he keeps the kids from seeing me we dont have custody papers up yet nor are we divorced any advice on what to do?

Answer Question

Asked by mwzraekebrats at 4:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • so you arent divorced and there is no custody? I would go to the police department and file complaint saying that he is keeping the kids from you and that he has abused you and is controlling the kids and wont let them be with you. If it comes down to it when you do get a divorce the judge will grant him custody because he will say you walked out and he will say he wants to keep the kids in their current home. If you dont file complaints nothing will be on file.

    Answer by shay1130 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Go file a petition with the courts OR i am not sure where you are but if you have a local Department of Human Resources or CPS, go there. YOU HAVE RIGHTS! IF you have TRIED to see them. If you have not been consistent then you may have trouble. Document everything.

    Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • He kept your kids from you and you weren't even divorced yet. Get people to back you up with how well you've done personally since you moved out and get to a lawyer to start custody. I don't think right now he has anymore right to custody than you do.
    Do you have anyproof of telephone calls that you've tried and tried to get to them but he refused? How about emails?

    Answer by lfl at 4:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • hes on face book all the time and ive texted an called him he wont answer the phone or answer my text the last time i had the kids was on christmas eve and on christmas day then when he caame to pick the kids up he witness a wallet go throught the window , ( boyfriend droped his wallet in a bucket of water picked it up real fast an underhand tosted it over to the heater which is under the window ,... well lets just say hes not making the pros) and the ex took it as somthikng bad was happening at our house an even tho i tried to explain to him what happened an that it was a accident an no one was anywhere close to being hurt things happen its life an hes had a window knocked out the kids did it at his place he has 8 kids an 2 adults in a 3 bedroom apt

    Answer by mwzraekebrats at 4:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Go to Legal Aid and get things done legally.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Yeah, get an attorney and file for custody and divorce. He can do anything he wants until you go to court. Document everything he does and says. Write down dates, times, what happened. It may not be admissiable in court but it shows a pattern of behavior. Document anything the kids say, any marks or bumps or bruises and how the children say they got them.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • You have to file for divorce, and get a court order in place for visitation. (There are typically temporary custody papers drawn up for use between the filing and actual final divorce date.) The longer this drags on, the harder it is going to be for you to see your kids more frequently. (You are establishing a pattern).

    Answer by Scuba at 10:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.