My 2 year old daughter bites her wrist when she is excited or anxious, like when there are lots of other kids around. Anyone else have this problem and have a suggestion on how to get her to stop?

We've tried putting little bracelets on her. It worked for two days and then she just started moving them aside. This started around the time she gave up the binky- about 6 months ago- and is getting worse!

zoeygracesmom

Asked by zoeygracesmom at 4:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm...I don't mean to alarm you but is there any chance she could have a learning disability or have some form of retardation or other problem? I only say this because a kid I went to high school with did the same thing and he was mentally disabled. When he would get excited he would bite his wrists. This is the only thing I know about that kind of behavior though.
    Anonymous

• my 2 yr old boy does the same thing. he doesn't leave any damage..except making it red and im sure its gotta hurt some. lol If i notice him doing it i will tell him not to bite himself, but i think its fairly normal and im sure he will grow out of it. He is accelerated in everthing developmentally so i think its just a phase.

good luck.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• wanted to add.. ignoring it may help it go away (if she isnt doing any damage) also she may be wanting something in her mouth, try giving her a heavy duty teething toy to carry around. My son is still teething and sticks his hands in his mouth constantly.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It is normal behavior and a coping mechanism for your DD. Normally she would have the paci, but in its absence she having to learn a new way to cope and chewing is soothing. Although my son never took a paci, he does chew EVERYTHING when he's teething and she may be getting her 2 year molars which take months to come in. As they get closer and closer to the top, they chew to relieve the pressure. You might try teething tablets or tylenol if you think that she's teething. (If it works, it was teething...) and if not, ignore it. As she gets more mature and secure in the social environments, she won't need to chew to cope as much. I wouldn't let it bother me. This will pass soon enough.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think it is normal, too. Children at that age do get a little nervous around other kids. My son licks his lips when he gets nervous...and that, too, started when he gave up his paci. I think it is just their way of soothing themselves. As long as she doesn't cause any harm to her arm! ;)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2010