Getting tubes put in on Friday...

Just wondering what to expect. I am totally freaked out about it. He is only 23 months and we have been through a LOT with him. I know it is a very common surgery and people get it done all the time, but it worries me that he has to "go under" and be on the ventilator. So any advise on what to do to help me deal or what to expect would be great!

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• They have to put him "under" because he is so little. The ventilator will be able to help him breathe if there are complications due to the anesthesia. It is a very common procedure and they do many in one day. I was having a tonsillectomy while there were many LO's ahead of me to have tubes put in. It will take less then 30 mins for the procedure and he will come home and be out of it for the rest of the day, but by Saturday he will be back to normal. And with his next infection you will see if pour out of his ears. It will be totally gross, but well worth it. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Two of my boys had tubes put in when they were very young (one of them had tubes put in 3 times because they kept falling out!). It really wasn't a big deal - almost as soon as I got comfortable in the waiting room, they were coming to get me to take me to them in recovery. It was short and not traumatic at all for them - it was much harder on me! Good luck with your son's tubes and remember to stay calm - if you are calm, then he will be as well!

Answer by missanc at 5:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• its the most simple like the above poster said thier done before you finish a 100page book.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010