Would you get an amnio if you already had a child with a chromosome anomoly?

I already have a son with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) I'm only 25. I was 22 when I had him and my husband was the same age. So we were both young. Neither of us are carriers of Down syndrome and our son has the normal anomaly form not the inherited form. Well I just found out I'm pregnant again. They suggested I get an amnio but I'm not sure. I know it carries a risk for miscarriage. But I would know ifsomething was wrong. With my son we had no clue until he was born and he almost died because no one realized anything was wrong with him. Even after four ultrasounds and one being a high level one they caught nothing. I'm worried about not knowing that I won't be prepared like last time. I wouldn't terminate but I would like the doctors to be aware of any issues so we don't almost lose this baby like we almost lost our son. Has anyone had amnio? Would you get an amnio for this reason? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I probably would myself just to be as prepared as possible in case something was wrong. Talk with your doctor and have the amnio at a time where risks are less likely to cause a problem with the baby. I would for sure want to be prepared. Good luck to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I feel sure I would just so you can prepare yourself and so the dr can have on hand the people he needs to have in place. I wouldn't terminate either, but it's nice to know. I am having a level II ultrasound and down's screening - if anything shows up as even a possibility, I will have an amnio. My oldest has autism, so we would need a lot of planning to get ready!

Answer by missanc at 5:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I have a son with Fragiole X syndrome. When I was PG with our second child we had the same questions and worries. Ultimately , we had the amnio because we were so afraid of the unknown. We would not have terminated but knowing what we know now........the first 2 years of our firsts life would have been much different if we had been prepared to deal with a profoundly retarded child.
    Anonymous

• I have had an amnio, although mine was to check for lung maturity before a 36 week induction. I was scared to death to get it done, but it was so much easier than I expected. It seems scary, but it's mostly the ick factor that got me. It wasn't painful and it was only about 5 minutes total, then 30 minutes of monitoring. It's your call if you want to do it or not. I think I would, so I would know for sure what I was dealing with. Especially after going through one amnio, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for the right reasons. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• when i was pregnant, they had tests to check for downs. and mine came back as high risk for my DD having downs. so i went to see a specialist and talked to him about it. he told me that the risk of having a miscarriage from amnio was greater than the chance of my dd actually having downs. with those odds, i decided not to do it. you should talk to your dr, and see what your options are. what your risk is since you and your husband arent carriers.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• no because the result wouldn't matter to me. i'll love my baby abnomaly or not. i don't get them, nor triple or quad screen either. no point in agonizing over something that can't be changed
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• OP here. ssnelson26 it has nothing to do with not loving my baby. I already have a son with Down Syndrome and I love him completely and fully. He is my world. The thing is they missed anything being wrong with him and he wasn't in the hospital he needed to be and he almost died. No one was prepared for all the medical issues he had and I was the one that insisted they look at him closer because I knew he wasn't breathing right when they insisted he was. It took him passing out purple for them to believe me. I wish I had known now so i wouldn't have spent the first few days of his life crying because he was in and out of surgery and on a ventilator. I wish I had time to prepare before he was born so I could have handled it better and not been in shock that my baby was very close to dying. So talking about anxiety I have anxiety it will happen again and knowing for sure would help me this time to be prepared.
    Anonymous