child name change question

If someone was to get re-married ... coulde they also change the kids last names without the new husband adopting them?

for example - if I was to get remarried.. ( and my current husband wasnt in the picture) ...could my kids get their last names changed, to be the same as mine ( newly married name)..even if the man I married didnt adopt them ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You have to get premission from there father. I had a friend go through that.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• you can but you have to go to court and have it approved by a judge.

check with your court house to get the necessary paper work.

you will also have to pay court fees.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If he ( the father) passed away or signed over his rights though ?

( I am the one who asked the question )
    Anonymous

• then you just have to get it approved by the judge.

I don't see why he wouldn't grant it... i think in many cases its just a formality for the court to approve it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son's father signed over his rights... this is a good question. If I ever meet my prince and we get married, I am going to hyphenate my last name so my son and I will still have the same last name and if I have any other children with my prince, they will also have the same last name as me. Don't want anyone feeling left out :o(
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If dad is dead or his rights have been terminated, you just file the paperwork and get a judge to give the ok. If dad is alive, whether he sees the kids or not, and his rights have not been terminated, then you have to have his permission. Depending on the circumstances, I *believe* you could possibly still petition the court without his consent and explain to the judge WHY you want to do it, and they still *might* grant it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• you have to attempt to find the father and get premission if you can prove that you Tried and were unable you can post it in the last known area of residence Newspaper for 4 weeks and the proceed to petition the court.

At least in my state.

I was looking into changing my son's last name, but we decided to go for the full step-parent adoption.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• depends on the name of the birth certificate and weather you named the father. all U S citizens are required to get a social security card because it identifies each citizen. on each birth certificate it requires the mother's maiden name which could be used as the last name. the marriage licenses is also a legal document which you can choose to take his name in doing so you would then contact the social security office of the marriage and name change. to then change your children's social security name a legal document would be needed, the bio father would need to sign over his rights and a legal document from your dh agreeing to the change which is an adoption. otherwise we could all change our last names to hilton lol. good luck!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010