How do I address the issue with my employer

I started working for a family as a nanny in august. Originally the agreement was that I would work 40 hours a week from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. The parents decided to seperate but still kept me as their nanny so they added 5 hours to my work week which includes one 11 hour day. I also bring my own child with so an 11 hour day gets pretty long for all of us. The boost in pay for the extra hours was pretty minimal and I feel like I am being walked all over. A couple weeks ago there was a blizzard in our area that dropped 20 inches of snow in less than 24 hours I tried to tell the mom it wasnt safe for me to go out but she kept calling every hour saying im sure the plows have it cleared by now. So i left my son at home with his dad since my husbands employer had closed for the day I drove out to her place where they hadnt plowed her road I got stuckk had to be towed out then had to walk cont

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 5:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• 1/4 mile in the snow and wind to get to her house where she proceeded to tell me she would just take my van to work since she wouldnt be able to get hers out so she takes my van to work then parks it back at the intersection where it's clear walks the 1/4 mile home and gives me my keys and says "stay warm" that was just one instance where I felt taken advantage of now today I am informed that I will have to stay an extra 2 hours tomorrow night on top of an 11 hour shift and I am told this as I am walking out the door getting done today! I just dont know how to address it. Like I might be willing to stick out the long hours for more pay but I need more notice on this stuff and I am NOT coming in when its snowed 20 inches and the freaking govenor declares a state of emergency. So does anyone have any tips on how to address this with them or should I cut my losses and find work with another family? I do love their children.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Be very open and honest...that was ridiculous that she expected you to come. I wouldnt have put myself in harms way for that but oh well..and she WOULDNT have taken MY car to get to her job either! That is beyond BS, and you need to let it be known that from NOW ON, you need atleast 48 hours notice before you can agree to work extended hours because you have family obligations to worry about!!! Thats not much to ask....I dont know about your job opportunities where your located, but i would be looking to work elsewhere!! youve been run all over!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'd just tell her I'd like to renegotiate my contract since the dynamics of their family has changed. I'd set boundaries. I'd require advanced notice for over time (at least 2 days notice). You have a family too and they can't be ignored for a job. Endangering you in that weather is unheard of in my opinion. Talk with your husband and see what he thinks is fair then talk to the couple and tell them what you need. I'd also work on getting an increase for those additional hours. Overtime is time and a half. Remind them of that.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Start looking for a new position. This woman does not respect you and you have been allowing her to walk all over you.
    www.care.com www.sittercity.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Look for a new job, you need somone that respects you
    BTW, are you in the DC area? ( I am ) That storm was REDICULOUS - I work at a peds office and we were closed!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• nope I'm in wisconsin but I heard it was even worse in your area
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You need to set some clear boundaries. Set up a meeting with BOTH of the parents. Ask them what their expectations are and then tell them what you are comfortable with. It is ridiculous for her to expect you to put your life at risk. Also, since you bring your child to work with you, she obviously knows you have a family of your own. If they expect you to work longer hours, They need to pay you over time and give you at least a two day notice.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010