Is Alpha Omega Elite convertable carseat a good buy and brand?

I was wondering if Alpha Omega brand is a good one to get. I am not sure what I should do, because right now, it's on sale for $100. My son is soon to be out of his infant carseat here shortly.

Kittykat279

Asked by Kittykat279 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have it, but I don't really like it. It only harnesses to 45lbs and all the safety advocates reccomend harnessing to 65lbs. That means I'm going to have get another seat for DS for those 20lbs. I do like the fact that it's a high back booster up to 100lbs. That'll come in handy... If the seat doesn't expire between now and him weighing enough. He's 33lbs now and I just turned him FF. He was RFing in it for about 2 years. (He outgrew his infant carrier when he was about 8m/o.) I bought DD a True Fit and I LOVE it. It's so comfortable for her and I love that the top of the head rest comes off so there's more room for the seat while RFing.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I would recommend looking into the Sunshine Kids Radian seats. They are a little more pricey, but they exceed the American and European Standards.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Well, I know the CPSTs on the car seat groups don't like them...I think it is said that kids tend to grow out of them quickly.

That being said, we had one for over a year...ds used it from 17months til 2.5 years old. I didn't have any problems with it. Ds was in that seat during his and dh's crash...dh flipped my car going 65MPH on the freeway and it rolled 3 times. Ds, 2.5 years old at the time, didn't have a scratch on him. Of course I'll never know if another seat would have protected him just the same, but in our case, the AOE did its job. After the crash, we got him a different seat because he was close to 40 pounds and we wanted him harnessed as long as possible.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 7:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We like our Evenflo Triumph Advance. It is just as good as the Britax and a little cheaper. CR REALLY likes it too!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• just came across this today....it is not recommended, at least as a booster....
    http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr122209.html
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 3:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2010