How can i stop my 5 year old from tearing up things that aren't hers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I had an answer for you. My kids, ages 4 and 6 both destroy each others things. I feel almost guilty that I've left it continue but I really don't know how to stop it.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Time outs, take her items away from her, etc.
    Anonymous

• She tore up her big sisters favorite blanket today that she's had since she was an infant.. she poured all of MY make up all over daddys work clothes yesterday, cut her hair today.. cut up her sisters comforter... used an entire container of febreze.. UHG!! and this was just today and yesterday
    Anonymous

• I would tear a hole in her ass.
    Anonymous

• I'd tear up some of HER things and ask her how she likes it. Then I'd light up her rear end.
    Anonymous

• Oh no. that doesn't sound good. I hope you can find a way to nip it in the bud quickly. Have you tried time outs? Supernanny swears by them. Maybe some kind of harsher punishment like having to help clean up what she ruins, buying new items to replace it where she has to earn the money.

We're doing that with my kids and it does seem to help some, but they still have their moments.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 8:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We talk to her every night before bed about any "good decisions" and "bad decisions" she made during the day. Good decisions are when she follows the rules. She tells about specific times, resting at nap time at school, putting her clothes away. Bad decisions are when she breaks the rules, doesn't listen, cuts her shoe laces, not listening. It gives her a chance to look back on what she did and we talk about how she could fix the bad, and praise her for the good. Kiwi makes $2.00 a week for her chores, and when she makes the "bad decision" to mess with something not hers, she has to save her allowance and do extra chores to replace it. If your daughter tears something up that is not hers, then let whoever it belonged to choose something that belongs to your daughter, and let them throw it away while she watches. It sounds a little mean, but it may get the point across that it sucks to have your stuff messed up.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've always told my kids that it's Ok to not be happy about something but when I warn them about a overreacting like whining about something they will get sent to timeout every single time they overact if they don't stop right after I warn them to calm down. I tell my kids that just because someone has something doesn't mean you can take it or have a fit. They have to ask and the person can say no and they have to accept that without acting up. Just keep sending her to timeout every time she starts up.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2010