what do you do?

my 16mo loves throwing her food on the floor at meal time, what do you do to let them know that it's not okay.. or do you let them? and.. she just started hitting recently, how do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just take the food away and ignore the behavior,she may not be hungry anymore at this point and only wants to play.I don't think hitting a 16 month old would work too well other than making her fear you and cry and the entire initial undesired behavior and lesson of not throwing food will be forgotten about. Also, hitting a child at this age will encourage them to hit as well. They "mock" or "mimick" what they know. I do agree with some of the benefits of a lesson learn with spanking...but only when a toddlers action will cause them harm. To stop a toddler from hitting at this stage, I would say to hold thier hands, look into thier face and simply say no, not okay..do this consistantly and over time they will understand.Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• The food throwing just started for us. I stop the meal and make her pick it up and hand it to me and then I put it in the trash. That is after I pop the back of her leg, not hard, but enough to let her know that I don't agree with the action she just did. This has mostly stopped the food dropping. It is getting better. The hitting part I haven't come into problems with, but you could try time out, or telling her that we don't hit because it hurts mommy. I wish you luck, but whatever you decide to do you have to be consistent with.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• when my daughter started throwing food, i would pick it up, and take her plate away. i would tell her we dont throw food, and she would have to sit there without eating. give it a meal or 2, and no snacks to sustain her apetite. she didnt do it for long.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My daughter (16mo.) does it only when we aren't paying attention and she is done eating then she throws everything on her tray on the floor. If I catch her I tell her to give it to me and then she will and I'll clean up the rest of her tray and tell her to say 'done' or 'out' when she's done and that's been working!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• we have a dog! it's a phase
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• teah. I agree with. Anon.10:49. with the wholw thing.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I also have a 16 mo and when he throws food that is a sure sign that he is done with the meal or snack! He loves to feed our dog ( thank god for our canine vacuum every day! lol) I sure do not agree with the previous person popping her daughter in the leg that would just add to your hitting probs IMO
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010