i need help

since i got pregnant two years ago i have been physically and mentally exhausted. i ended up having an emergency c section and after i was sent home they told me i had anemia and to take iron supplements. my boys are in the hospital to this day and i know they are part of why i am tired. the main problem is i can sleep twelve hours at night and still wake up tired and by the middle of the day i can take a 2-3 hour nap. i have no motivation or energy to move from my bed. i have no motivation to clean. all i do is go see my sons day in and day out and besides that i sleep all the time. what is wrong with me ..when i even think about doing something fun like the movies or an art workshop i immediately brush it off , i just have no desire. i am getting bloodwork done tommorow and i do take viatamins

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

• you have a lot in your life huh. I'm sorry. Can you get spiritual counseling or personal counseling through the hospital where you sons are? With a priest or minister, rabbi in a hospital I think that's usually free of cost when a family member is hospitalized.
    Are you saying your sons have been in the hospital for two years now? That in itself without any of your own medical conditions is draining. Maybe there's a test for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Epstein Barr which is an off shoot of Mononucleosis or maybe you could have Lyme Disease. I've known people with all of those and extreme tiredness and a feeling of being drained is a part of all of those. Hepititis C can also make a person feel really drained.

We've been to infectious disease specialists to get some of our illnesses figure. They look very very closely even more closely than some other specialists, at your bloodwork and how it interacts with your organs.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It could be depression, or sleep apnea, or both. Does your SO ever notice that you gasp for breath when you are asleep? Do you wake yourself up at night because you gasp? Do you snore? Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. There are things that can be done for both depression and sleep apnea (if it is either). You do not and should not have to live with not enjoying life, and being tired all the time!
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Your children have never left the hospital? If thats what you are saying, for heavens sake, even if you are iron deficient you have every right to be tired. It sounds like the whole situation has you depressed. Depression has a way of really messing with your body. It makes you tired and just out of it. It can also make you feel sick with body or headaches. If you are goin gto the Dr to have your bloodwork, talk to the Dr abou tthe possibility of you being depressed. I hope you have someone to help you. Having kids in the hospital and having to take care of things at home can be a drain for anyone.
    Please talk to the Dr.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• don't know how I forgot about sleep apnea, good idea acollins09 - my husband has that and his last bout was so bad that led to a second round of testing - one of his legs would shake tremors severely when he slept. I knew then his apnea had progressed even worse cause he was still gasping and choking while he slept. Also, op my husband was so tired from his sleep apnea that he was falling asleep at traffic lights and meetings.

The other leg illness, Restless Leg Syndrome, doesn't have stopping breathing as a part of the RLS illness. But you can have sleep apnea without the leg tremors. Also, just thinking - for some reason I wonder if sugar is off really off for some reason I think that can make a person sleepy. Maybe ask for the fasting Diabetes testing.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Why are they in the hosp?
    Hopefully the blood work will show something
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• this is the OP, my boys were premature at 26 weeks and they have never left the hospital, they are getting better and i will be bringing them home soon. i also have shortness of breath, i don't think that i have sleep apnea but i guess that could be a possibility. i always think my shortness of breath is from being an asthmatic. that you for all your answers
    Anonymous

• I too could sleep all day and yet wake up feeling exhaused and unmotivated. I got tested for diabetes, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and depression. Turned out I was depressed and not getting enough deep sleep. I've been prescribed sleeping pills that don't make me sleep really but when I do, I wake up during the am hours feeling fully refreshed. Also, the medication for depression has helped me feel more motivated.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i had one son in the nicu for 26 days, and it was exhausting. I can't imagine what you must be going through yourself. How are the babies now, i know you said they will be coming home soon, are you ready? Do you have help if you need it? keep us updated on the bloodwork.
    Good Luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I am always tired. I too was put on meds for depression but they dont help. If I could sleep all day I could. You can also get your thyroid checked.
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 10:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010