A question for mothers with Autistic children.

What do you PERSONALLY think the reason was for you child having autism? is it just genetic. I'm a little scared because my cousin who is now 6 has really bad autism. the low functioning kind. It just scares me because i don't know how or why this happens to children and i don't want it to happen to my LO.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 7:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's genetic. Many people think it's vaccinations, but my 3 year old son is NOT vaccinated and has high-functioning autism.
    MommieOfCamden

Answer by MommieOfCamden at 7:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• A combo of an overloaded weak immune system and genetics.We may find its a severe allergic reaction to all the chemicals put into our enviroment perhaps.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• When my son was diagnosed at 3 years old, I wasn't sure if it was genetic or from the preservatives in the shots, or if it was environmental. I learned when my nephew was 7 he was diagnosed with autism. If it is genetic, you don't get to choose wether it will be a part of your child's and your lives. I am a firm believer in the genetic theory. God has a plan for all of us, and I believe that part of His plan for my son is to use his autism to help people see the blessings given to them, whatever they may be.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think it's either genetic or a reaction to all the toxins in the environment. The scary thing is no one knows what causes it. If it were vaccines there would be ALOT more autistic people in the world. If it were mercury and excess metals chelation therapy would be the cure it's not. Things like the GF/CF diets improve symptoms in some kids, but not others. What does that say?? You don't get to choose to have a child with autism or a neurotypical. If you really don't think you could handle it don't have kids. I know that reads a bit harsh, but you get the cards you're dealt in life and you make it work. You'll drive yourself insane worrying about that which you have no control over.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Genetic. I know my kids got it from me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010